What do you make of this turbo?

DavidGTiR

Turbo Dynamics MD205, ball bearing, 48mm compressor. Peter the boss @ T.D told me this is v good and rated at 370hp max.

Im looking for a turbo that will have low lag as when the car is mapped im only wanting to run 1.4bar max when using the water injection.

Hkondakci

Hi

Your best choice would be the newest HKS GT-RS. Fits to standard manifold, internal wastegate, very fast spool up, and is efficiently rated for 400BHP. Also ball-bearing. The external size is almost identical to your standard T28. This is the state of the art in turbo land for small turbo's :wink:

rgs
habib

A

Anonymous

I thought that the standard mainfold had to be modified to fit any of the hks turbos.
(has hks made a manifold for our car yet to adapt there turbos...)

ashills

not the flange is the same as ours T25 and alot of turbos will fit its more a case of clearance aswell as i

GINGA

The GTRS should be pretty much a direct fit apart from some minor changes to the oil/water piping, the actuator position and turning the compressor housing about 90 degrees.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I've heard from a very respectable little bird (engine tuner) that the GT-RS is a, and I quote "crock of shit" and the GT 2835 or the GT 3037 are much better

Nad

stevepudney said:
I've heard from a very respectable little bird (engine tuner) that the GT-RS is a, and I quote "crock of ****" and the GT 2835 or the GT 3037 are much better
Habib's got more turbos coming out of his ears than Nikko. Hes been there done that.

On that note the turbo is only as good as the engine it is matched to.

I have heard enough bad things about every turbo, like bearings going on the GT3037, just depends on what its being used for.

Nad

Hkondakci

How come I always agree with you Nad :wink: :lol:

Steve; I would say the best suited HKS turbine for the SR20DET RWD engine as mostly used by Japanese tuners is one of the forms of the GT3037; Many Jap tuners use GT2835 turbines on AWD cars like the EVO's, so probably a good choice for our R (SR20DET AWD). But then again other turbines would function well if both benefits and disadvantges of a particular turbine is counted for before choosing one. If you're planning to make an engine which will run sweet between 4000-8000rpm+, and you will not be bothered with a "little" more lag, than an GT3037(S or PRO) 52T or 56T and GT3240 54T would be a good choice. But if you're after an alomost OEM turbo-lag engine with "reasonable" power levels the GT-RS 52T with its 71,1mm compr wheel would be perfect match.
I only heard negative responses about the HKS GT3040 and the HKS GT2535 to the GT2540.
Also good alternatives for big power hickups for our R-engines are the GReddy TD06SH-20G (450+hp), TD06SL2-20G (500+hp), TD06SH-25G (550+hp), T67-25G (600+hp), T78-33D (700+hp). All of these GReddy turbines use conventional thrust bearings, so they will be a little more laggy, but are cheaper to buy and alos cheaper to rebuild when there worn out.
And there are ofcourse the Apex'i ball-bearing turbines, which use IHI as a base, and are also very decent items :wink: The Apex’i RX6B TCW15 (440hp), RX6B TCW10 (500hp), Apex’i RX6B TCW76LS (520hp), and Apex’i RX6B TCW77LS (560hp) could be considered when seeking for good power gains for our R engine.
Like Nad said: "On that note the turbo is only as good as the engine it is matched to." is a big truth. :wink:

rgds
habib