what do people use for cleaning and detailing their cars?

• Thread starter mynheers_a_pint
  • Start date
M

mynheers_a_pint

seeing as i'm starting to get rather anal regarding the cleaning of my car and general paintwork condition, i thought I'd get some views and feedback.

Generally speaking i've stuck to the more conventional brands- Turtle wax (would never use again), Autoglym, Zymol and Meguires. Most have served me fine for all of the cars i've had. However, having recently done a bit more investigation into this i have started to look further afield for the stuff. I recently bought some stuff called Poor Boys World (sounds crap, i know) but it seems to be really ruddy good. Also Swissol and a few other radom brands...

So i guess my question is, what turd polish do people use to make their shitters shine and which ones genuinely work?

:lol:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've sort of fallen into that bracket with taking an interest in keeping the car clean.

I'm sure it’s a phase and I'll snap out of it.

However check out… www.detailingworld.co.uk, it’s a really good site for information and tricks to clean your car. Not only that, they test out the effectiveness of branded products.

Sometimes it’s a little biased towards items the traders sell, but see through the sales pitch and there are some good products and answers to your questions.
:thumb:

saddler

seeing as i'm starting to get rather anal regarding the cleaning of my car and general paintwork condition, i thought I'd get some views and feedback.

Generally speaking i've stuck to the more conventional brands- Turtle wax (would never use again), Autoglym, Zymol and Meguires. Most have served me fine for all of the cars i've had. However, having recently done a bit more investigation into this i have started to look further afield for the stuff. I recently bought some stuff called Poor Boys World (sounds crap, i know) but it seems to be really ruddy good. Also Swissol and a few other radom brands...

So i guess my question is, what turd polish do people use to make their shitters shine and which ones genuinely work?

poor boys have a very good range.. I find auto glym Super Resin Polish/Ultra Deep Shine/engine cleaner to be excellent,,
if you want to treat yourself buy some dodo wax http://www.dodojuice.com/
punches way above its weight..

M

mynheers_a_pint

i was kind of waiting for you to post Saddler :D

My current treatment coarse is as follows, post wash;

Detailers pride strong clay bar treatment and poor boys spray and wipe as lube
Meg's scratch X
poorboys swirl remover
megs paint cleaner
megs polish
Autoglym Ultra deep shine
Meg's gold class liquid wax
Autoglym high def hard wax, 2 or 3 layers

The Autoglym high def hard wax is, i feel, much better than the Zymol carbon wax and is 1/3rd the price!

I'm sure i go mad when I'm doing it but i have so much crap for cleaning my car it kinda seems stupid not to!

Last edited by a moderator:

saddler

i was kind of waiting for you to post Saddler :D

My current treatment coarse is as follows, post wash;

Detailers pride strong clay bar treatment and poor boys spray and wipe as lube
Meg's scratch X
poorboys swirl remover
megs paint cleaner
megs polish
Autoglym Ultra deep shine
Meg's gold class liquid wax
Autoglym high def hard wax, 2 or 3 layers

The Autoglym high def hard wax is, i feel, much better than the Zymol carbon wax and is 1/3rd the price!

I'm sure i go mad when I'm doing it but i have so much crap for cleaning my car it kinda seems stupid not to!
lol :-D over kill :laser:
try this combo
Clay bar
then use auto glym resin polish (if you doing it by hand ) poorboys swirl remover if you have a buffer,,Auto glym was tested to remove more swirl marks by hand,,
then use your Autoglym high def hard wax, 2 layers 24hrs apart,

M

mynheers_a_pint

lol :-D over kill :laser:
try this combo
Clay bar
then use auto glym resin polish (if you doing it by hand ) poorboys swirl remover if you have a buffer,,Auto glym was tested to remove more swirl marks by hand,,
then use your Autoglym high def hard wax, 2 layers 24hrs apart,
I knew it was overkill :lol:

I have the buffer but i'm not hugely happy with it. i always feel i have to go over it by hand again.

The only thing i will add is i am polishing 15 year old paint still. so the fact i get a decent finish despite lots of blemishes is a fair achievement!

Oh and i don't do all those steps every time. The car was parked outside and hadn't moved for 5 months so it needed a special clean.

Twice. :lol:

jjs

i use mer easy to use and good results, excellent for removing tar spots too , and it brings up the black trim around the windows too,

P

pulsarboby

broom, scraper and scouring pad:lol:

no point in washing cars down here as they get covered in tree puss and bird shit within an hour of washing the things:roll:

but as above i think that mer stuff is pretty good

ChrisS

Ive just got some Bilt-Hamber auto balm and am very impressed. Produces a fantastic finish and shine. Bit more hard work to polish off than alot of the other products but worth it imo

SunOnGTiR

Autoglym shampoo and super resin polish.Works on all caRs:thumbsup:
I use the netted sponge so it gets all the muck off.
If I could be bothered,afterwards some deep gloss polish and fast glass for the windows.
Not forgetting some backtoblack for the tyres(my favourite bit) and body trim(got some wonderwheels stuff).
Wash and polish usually takes me 3-4 hours.
I washed my GF's ML the other week(by hand)...backbreaking:doh::evil:too effing much bodywork.Got away not polishing as it was getting dark:lol::lol::lol:

One last thing......always the wheels FIRST;-)

Garef

sponge, bucket, washing up stuff and a hose
I have to agree, nothing too crazy for me either, about as crazy as I get is Gold class washing stuff. No point in going crazy if your going to be driving it the way it should be.

M

mynheers_a_pint

I have to agree, nothing too crazy for me either, about as crazy as I get is Gold class washing stuff. No point in going crazy if your going to be driving it the way it should be.
Ah but by cleaning it you reduce the drag, improving the performance of the car.

Thus, it is worth spending just a little more time on it ;-)