What Do I Need for 350 BHP?

Looking to increase the power a bit so just need some advice on what changes are needed for a reliable 350 bhp output.

1. How far can the standard injectors, MAF and ECU be be tuned for? I've heard different things so am a bit unsure at the moment.
2. I have a Mine's ECU. What is the breaking point on these?

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
1) somewhere around 320ish I think
2) I've heard they're only mapped for about 1.2bar.

You'll need bigger injectors, bigger turbo, remap (Nistune is a safe bet) , then supporting stuff like fuel pump, clutch, potentially brakes, front mount wouldn't hurt, but could go without.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd second that. - The standard turbo runs out of puff, and the injectors run out of duty cycle.
Fusion Ed isn't particularly complementary about the map on the Mines ECU, but it's probably better than the standard map if you're chasing power on a budget.

The next step is Nistune (or maybe Nismotronic?) with a bigger turbo and injectors. - Like Car says you need to start upgrading everything else to support it... and before you know it you've got a money pit. ;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That thread is probably why I had it in my head that you need to start spending to go past ~320bhp.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Just to point out that since my "rant post" on that other thread, my car is still off the road!

Thanks for the replies guys. KieranEG6/fubar andy, wow, that thread is depressing. But better to know the bitter truth beforehand than learn the hard way. Seems as though the quest for 350 bhp leads to broken aspirations more than anything else!

After re-evaluating, I think the best option for me is to aim for 330 bhp with the standard injectors and MAF seeing as I'm on a budget and can't risk blowing anything major. Would I be better off with a standard ECU remapped for 330 bhp or just keeping the Mine's (which is not without its issues)?

Last edited:

KieranEG6

From what I have read. 300/310 is about it for safe running on stock injectors. As they will be nearing 100% duty at that.

Personally I am in the same sort of boat. At first thought 350 was easily in sight. But after much evaluation it seems the safest alround setup without breaking the bank so much is evo 560's injectors, nistune or other programmable ecu, possibly z32 maf if you want not essential, then just supporting mods like stage 2 clutch, fuel pump, exhaust, good condition ign etc.

Then it's just down to decent maintenance and luck.

warringtonjack

To be honest, you have to make a considered decision whether you want to run reliably (and relatively cheaply) at around the 300 - 320bhp mark, or you want to bite the bullet and go for something 400bhp+. In my opinion, the cost inputs needed to get somewhere around 350bhp are not worth the gain in horsepower. If you're going to spend that much money, you're better off setting your aims higher!

Or as previously mentioned, go for 320bhp and spend some money on the other aspects, such as handling, etc.

shroom

I have had both a 320bhp car and a 365bhp car (I have had 6 Pulsars in total lol), the 365bhp car had thousands more spend on it and was not my favourite! I could have turned up the boost further for 400bhp but thought it had lost its character at 360+ so sold it and now I have my original car back to a stock turbo, injectors, maf and looking at concentrating on the handling and braking of the vehicle.

Great car at 300bhp

Mr B

going from 300 range & closer to 350 is not that big an expense, ideally car wants mapping even for 300 for best results/reliability so main extras are injectors, fuel pump & airflow meter, they can all be had from salvage, evo injectors z32 meter, 300zx fuel pump.
Turbo will be biggest cost (and decent clutch if not done already) but to be fair a refresh & upgrade turbo is wise anyway, something like the gtx2863 would be perfect, turbo elbow & porting standard manifold would be good bonus work too. pulsar still reliable at 350 if it not a dog to start with. Standard rod bolts ok & even standard head-gasket can be ok. Good mapping is the key & everything working & healthy to start with. Upgrade of brakes & suspension is good idea even at lower power.

shroom

Rough figures...

z32 £120+
Injectors £100+
Turbo £800+
Clutch £400 (fitting £200)
Boost controller £100+ (Or bleed valve £20 lol)
Remap £500+

£2000+ without fitting

Additional
4 Pot brakes £300-400
Uprated Dampers £300+

£600+

Last edited:

vss irvine

Heres some stuff ive for sale just to give you a look at the prices

z32 maf with pigtails £100
Power enterprises 800cc injectors £200
Power fc with hand controller £450
Full 3" exhaust £300
Gt2871r £500
Apexi avcr boost controller £150

yes ill make a proper advert but these are just to show you whats out there.