What can I use to clean out the intercooler ?

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
As on quite a few 'Rs, my intercooler has oil in it from the wonderful seperator not working 100%. That's soaking in white spirit but can I use that to clean out the intercooler also ? I hope to get a Cusco seperator kit but for the mo I'm having to make do ( need ca$h for a new clutch! )

Thanks in advance ! :) :D

A

antilag

cat wee works best mate u just gota giv it loads a drink first :D :D should imagine anything would do as long as u dry it out properly b4 u put it back on buy the way cat wee might not b the answer

donpulsar

:lol: Cheers ! No cats here but there's an old folks home nearby so a couple of bladderbags should do the trick! :D

J

J-GTi-R

I used Winns carb and injector cleaner. I blocked off one end with a plastc bag and rubber band, sprayed the entire can into the other end, blocked that off and gave everything a good shake. I then took both end caps off and drained it out (loads of black gunk came out!!).

I do have to mention I didn't drain it properly the first time I put the intercooler back on so it wouldn't start when I tried. I took it off, drained it properly and it was fine (I did get a miss, but that was the leads not the intercooler, as I'd damaged one taking it off to squirt some WD40 down the plug holes).

donpulsar

Cheers for all your contributions :D

Breather and intake system all cleaned out - just hope it stays that way :!: