What boost would you run with this spec ?

ShayneG

Hi peeps,

An R I'm looking at has the following specs:

 HKS forged 86mm pistons
 HKS vernier pulleys
 HKS 2.0mm head gasket
 HKS valve springs
 Kent cams (284)
 The head has had extensive porting and polishing
 The crank has been balanced and lightened
 The con rods have been shot peined
 Turbo is a MD214 roller bearing unit good for 400bhp+
 Fidanza 4.5kg ally flywheel
 AP paddle clutch (on / off)
 Clutch support bracket
 Dakar gearbox and diffs have been fully shot peined and rebuilt (professionally done)
 Forge front mount intercooler with samco hosing
 Exhaust manifold has been ported
 Bailey dump valve
 Mongoose full exhaust system from the manifold back to a 5” tail
 Iridium plugs
 K&N filter
 Walbro fuel pump
 Blitz sbc spec R boost controller
 Apexi SAF-C2 computer
 HKS 2.0bar boost gauge
 Air con totally removed
 Nismo shocks springs
 Polly flex bushes on front end
 Hi-Spec 285 big disc conversion kit

However is is only running at a max of 1.35 bar but I would of thought you could happily run at least 1.6bar :?

Opinions please 8)

for fuck sake another tuning oriented post!!!!

C

clive760

ShayneG said:
Hi peeps,

An R I'm looking at has the following specs:

 HKS forged 86mm pistons
 HKS vernier pulleys
 HKS 2.0mm head gasket
 HKS valve springs
 Kent cams (284)
 The head has had extensive porting and polishing
 The crank has been balanced and lightened
 The con rods have been shot peined
 Turbo is a MD214 roller bearing unit good for 400bhp+
 Fidanza 4.5kg ally flywheel
 AP paddle clutch (on / off)
 Clutch support bracket
 Dakar gearbox and diffs have been fully shot peined and rebuilt (professionally done)
 Forge front mount intercooler with samco hosing
 Exhaust manifold has been ported
 Bailey dump valve
 Mongoose full exhaust system from the manifold back to a 5” tail
 Iridium plugs
 K&N filter
 Walbro fuel pump
 Blitz sbc spec R boost controller
 Apexi SAF-C2 computer
 HKS 2.0bar boost gauge
 Air con totally removed
 Nismo shocks springs
 Polly flex bushes on front end
 Hi-Spec 285 big disc conversion kit

However is is only running at a max of 1.35 bar but I would of thought you could happily run at least 1.6bar :?

Opinions please 8)
get rid of turbo mate 4 bigger 1 & run 1.6-2bar then u will be flying

C

clive760

bos

ShayneG said:
Do you think with those mods though that 1.6 - 2 bar engine would last
the only wk side ther r the conrods do u no if arp bolts wer fitted 2 rods mate ,what ecu is it runing mate

A

AJ4

Its all down to tuning mate, if its setup properly, a completely standard engine will do in excess 400 bhp ;) A super dooper forged internal can still melt at 0.65 bar if it not tuned right. The forged internals make it stronger, but not indestructible.

C

Crazy

Only 1.35 bar :shock:

Bloody hell Shayne I run nearly that now with my standard engine but the same turbo :wink:

Turbo Dynamics told me that the turbo is good for 420+bhp and its good upto 1.7bar - 1.8bar, anything after that and it out of its effiency (they lost me at this point as it was getting too techical for me) :oops:

So I say get that boost up mate or I will be having ya for breakfast at the next meet :p

Keira

you will by the looks of things require bigger injectors as theres no mention of any and a bigger maf i.e z32, you will not achieve alot more without them :wink:

spec wise, with the addition of the above it SHOULD easily support good power with the correct tuning,

Si..

do as kieron said mate, them 2 mods and 1.6 bar would be a very quick car,

dont do 2.0bar unless you've got very good eyesight :shock:

also, go for management rather than controllers, all the controllers will keep you right, but the power delivery will be no where near as smooth.

C

Crazy

WHAT BOOST WOULD YOU RUN WITH THIS SPEC IS THE QUESTION LADS

:oops: My fault :oops:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
With all that engine work i would hope that they have used ARP ConRod Bolts... If so then you're sorted... Just make sure you use proper management... Something like the Power FC PRO would be ideal...

On the turbo side, if the turbo's peak efficiency is at 1.8bar then thats where you will hit your beak power... You won't gain any more power by running any more boost... However, you can still run it upto nearer 2bar for the extra torque that you would gain... Remember its the torque thats going to scare the cr@p out of you... :lol:

This is why you find alot of people running 2bar+ when in fact most turbo's hit peak efficience between 1.6 - 1.8bar... Its all about the TORQUE!!...

Hope you've got a well sorted gearbox too... Quaife or PAR... Otherwise you're in for some trouble...

Rishi

ashills

just because uve reached the peak efficency doesnt mean it will stop making more power just u will get less efficency as u go further past it
which normally means u will get charge temps getting alot hotter etc but if u have the cooling in place to cope then u should be ok
as an example an evo engine with a GT35R bolted on was mapped to over 35 pound of boost and peaked at 910hp now that turbo is normally only thought to do 700-750 but was pushed very hard with a very good charge cooler etc was on race gas aswell(think the highest boost recorded was around 45psi) :D

Rishi

Ok, what i should have said was you won't gain much more power... :oops:

Remeber that it depends on the GT35R

You can have a GT3540R with a 71mm or 82mm compressor wheel...

Or

A GT3542R...

All are classed as GT35's

Its the GT3542R thats rated at about 846bhp @ about 2.4bar which i would guess was being used on the above mentioned car...

Rishi

ashills said:
all he told me about teh turbo was it was the GT3540 with the .82 exhaust so i was very suprised
Thats what i'm going to be using except with the .63 exhaust housing for less lag... Running 2.2bar... :shock:

Getting the race fuel map too...

Thats is impressive for that turbo... esp considering Norris uses the GT3542R and gets 815bhp on Race Fuel...