What boost setting for this spec

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Hi all

Having the car mapped over the next couple of days with the spec list below, I dont want to stretch things to much as I would like it to stay as bullet proof as possible (rebuilt standard box at the mo) for as long as possible. I want to hit somewhere between 360 & 400 break. The turbo is good for 2 bar all day long so thats not a problem and I'm confident the rebuilt engine is ok, the car is just going to be used on the road though, no strip or track use.

With the Greedy Profec B I have 2 boost settings available to be set up, the question is what boost should I get it set to. I was thinking,

off @ 1 bar (governed by actuator)
setting 1 @ 1.2 bar
setting 2 @ 1.4 bar

or

off @ 1 bar
setting 1 @ 1.4 bar
setting 2 @ 1.6 bar

What do you lot think I should go for

=================================================

Spec list

Walbro 225 fuel pump
HKS Iridium S45i spark plugs
Tomei 1.2mm Metal Head Gasket
Magnacor Plug leads
Ported Head with matched and balanced chambers
New inlet & Exhaust valve guides
HKS 264 Cams
Standard ported Manifold
Wiseco 87mm ceramic coated Pistons
Shot Peened & Balanced Standard Rods
ARP Rod Bolts
Knife Edged Crank
Fully Balanced bottom end
New Oil Pump
New Water Pump
Line bored Block to straighten main bearing journals
Nissan oversize big end & main bearings
All new Nissan nuts and bolts throughout the engine rebuild
OS Giken Twin Plate Clutch & Flywheel
Forge Alloy Pulley Set
Cusco Oil Breather Kit
Modded straight Air inlet
Z32 MAF
Sard Adjustable fuel reg
MSD Blaster coil
Apexi super power intake Pod filter
R33 Front mount Intercooler
Stainless Intercooler pipe run
HKS SSQV Dump Valve
Nismo 600cc Injectors
Garrett GTRS Pro Turbo (.86AR Turbine housing)
Braided coolant lines
3" Janspeed Dump/Front pipe Exhuast leading to
Mongoose rear section Exhuast with 3" End Can
Samco Hoses
Apexi Power FC Pro + Commander
Greedy Profec B Spec 2 Boost controller
All Air Con Removed
Battery in the boot conversion
Completely rebuilt Standard Gearbox (sorting out a quaife gearset a.s.a.p)

All suspension Bushes replaced with Whiteline polyurethane
Whiteline front antiroll bar (with new poly drop link rubbers)
Whiteline rear adjustable antiroll bar (with new poly drop link rubbers)
Whiteline Align & Lock rear subframe kit
Whiteline Anti Dive/Lift kit
Whiteline bumpsteer kit
Polyflex Rear Tie bar bush set
Standard shocks & Hiteq 40mm lower springs
Poly Bushes all round

Godspeed 325mm Grooved & Drilled front disks
Godspeed 285mm Grooved & Drilled Rear disks
Godspeed 4 pot front caliper kit
Goodridge Braided brake lines

Cusco front top strut brace
Cusco front Lower 4 point Strut brace
Cusco rear top strut brace

===================================================

Swampy

I also agree with the above, rebuild box as and when :wink:

Top spec by the way, sounds like a top car 8)

Les.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Personally I don't see a problem with the OS Giken clutch as long as you treat it all with a little mechanical sympathy and use the Nissan standard engine mounts.

Like I said though, I don't want loads of power I can't use, it's only used on the road, so anywhere around 380 would be cool. The question was what boost will I need to get to around that power. Would 1.4 be enough or will I need to go to 1.6.

nismoboy

nice spec mate, as for boost u wont have anyprobs on that spec running upto 1.8 bar. thats what i would go for and say 1.5 bar low boost. Just remember once running this sort of power comes more problems though ie gearboxes every few months and missfires due to boost increase. this would require uprated gear set ie dog box or quaiffe and uprated ignition. As long as u have the money to keep going go for it, but if u dont then i`d stay at about 1.2-1.4 bar. to keep it reliable.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I forgot, I also got the MSD Blaster coil fitted aswell, so the gearbox is the only real issue.
I must admit though, I thought I would go for the 1.2 & 1.4 option for now just so the standard box lasts as long as possible.

Theres always the option to get it mapped again later once the Quaife gearset is fitted.

I think I should see about 360 break at 1.4 bar anyway.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Remember that you will want more boost for the torque... Makes it much more fun to drive....

Rishi

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Steve, pointing out the obvious :wink: , its torque ratehr than hp that will break your box and like you said, mechanical sympathy.

You could take a leaf out of the FQ400 and build a car that has loads of lag, slow power uptake but does get to 400hp eventually. You could argue that a hard hitting low lag 360hp is as bad as a 400hp monster depending on its delivery in this case. I believe they have also tuned the management to take the impact out of coming on boost to take the strain off the mechanical components and give a 3 year warranty.

I'd check the flow map and see how hard or not your turbo is working. What range is it ats most efficient? That might be a good start.

If I ever get to the point I will be running my 3071 at about 1.5/1.6 Bar peak. I could run more too but I could also end up with a collection of small parts for the engine and g/box. At 1.6 Bar the turbo is running at its most efficient, it should just tweak 400hp and that will do me.

Jim

Dooie Pop Pop

get rid of that goose tail and get the rest of the janspeed (it aint loud till you boot it :lol: ) to free up some more torque and aid spool up :twisted:

can you alter the boost level for each gear with the profec? you could use a lower boost setting for first gear launching.

if i were you id leave it at 1.1 or 1.2 till you get the quaiffe, it might take a while judging by some comments iv read on here. and its quite difficult to think 'mechanical sympathy' when your porking a porker :wink: id rather have 1.1bar for 6months than 1.6+ bar for a fortnight.

besides you can flog the standard gear set on afterwards OR you could aquire another case to fit it in and use when your having the quaiffe rebuilt (which you will if your doing a Rishi :wink: ) it would minimalise your time off the road anyway..

i get 1.4+ bar and 395 bhp/370lb ft by 3500rpm :D thats with the smaller (ported) .64 exhaust housing.
what with my crap lauches and lousy 2 second 60fts i still managed to get 116 mph terminals which suggests to me the 3071r' s doing its thing just fine :D :twisted: :D shame about the driver :lol:

iv heard that the fq400' s a down tuned 500bhp car. it' d explain the lag issue.

stu

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Going for this then for the time being

setting 1 @ 1.2 bar
setting 2 @ 1.4 bar

In the meantime

Get a Quaife gearset sorted and built into my spare box then get it mapped to 1.4 & 1.6+ bar.

Also, as I have the spare box sitting on the garage floor I'll look into strenthening the case.

Dooie Pop Pop

stevepudney said:
Going for this then for the time being

setting 1 @ 1.2 bar
setting 2 @ 1.4 bar

In the meantime

Get a Quaife gearset sorted and built into my spare box then get it mapped to 1.4 & 1.6+ bar.

Also, as I have the spare box sitting on the garage floor I'll look into strenthening the case.
you lucky bastid! get the quaife in and map it till your injectors are maxed out :twisted:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Just to recap and finish this thread, since writing the spec sheet and gettting the car mapped in Aug last year

Firstly ran it with the spec above and got it mapped at 1.4 bar and got 397 bhp & 346 ftlb torque, that was fine for a while :D

Then went out and bought the rest of the 3" Janspeed Exhaust and a slightly bigger turbo then got it mapped on the road to 1.4 & 1.7 bar. She pulls alot harder now so must be somewhere round the 430bhp mark now. :D

Dooie Pop Pop

NICE!! :D

im liking the way avarage R power levels have been pushed this last couple of years. maybe 400bhp will be the norm one day :lol:

paz

Dooie Pop Pop said:
NICE!! :D

im liking the way avarage R power levels have been pushed this last couple of years. maybe 400bhp will be the norm one day :lol:
They have as well. Some people I know have still got all the old conceptions about the R from when they left a couple of years ago i.e. maximum 1.2 bar on standard engine/pistons/turbo/box - its great to see how much things are being pushed :)

Paz