Weird stuff into oil pan

josemari220

Any opinions for the origin of those chunks are appreciated.
My sr20det engine has developed low oil pressure. Engine runs ok, no noises or smoke, etc. I checked oil pan and found into the pick-up some metal chunks, thin and long shape. Seems to be steel. dark color because high tempereture. And the strangest, a kind of rubber plug. Local mecanics say that they could be from rod bearings, but I have checked them and all are in good shape. Checked the cyclinders for marks, maybe because defective piston rings but nothing wrong. Checked the upper of head, camshafts, and nothing wrong. Next is to open oil pump. My cuestion is, ¿where those chuncks could come from?. ¿What is your oppinion? Maybe something in the camshafts chain tensioner? Maybe something in the turbo. I can´t imagin where they come from. Thanks a lot.

virutas en el filtro del chupon de aceite.jpg

virutas y tapon goma en chupon carter Sunny Gti-R motor SR20DET.jpg

casquillo inferior de biela nº 4 buen estado numero y pestaña hacia conductor 2.jpg

casquillo de biela nº 4 buen estado 3.jpg

arboles levas.jpg

josemari220

Probably parts left over from its previous victims.
Yes, I thought about it. I am the second owner, but I think first owner never had engine problems like theese. The fact is I have low oil pressure, and I found chunks in oil pick-up. Maybe only the oil pump is defective, but I have to check all risky places before start the engine again. Need to see main bearings and oil pump. Other places like rod bearing and cylinders looks in good condition. Thanks for your opinion.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Possibly they've blocked the pick up and caused the low oil pressure.
Can't say I recognise them unless they're part of the timing chain guide maybe? It doesn't look like a turbo thrust bearing but that would probably give you alot of smoke anyway.