Wanted a set of Mintex 1144

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
ebc pads are dog poo...
I was talking to someone about this (might have been Bob the Builder), and I asked "what about their super new formulation that's better than the old stuff?" - Two laps of the track now instead of one is probably the concise version.

I still remember seeing red stuff pads smoking on one of the cars at Oulton Park when we had that track day.

bensmith907

I have just come back from the ring with yellow stuff on standard calipers. My Verdict- they worked really well. the only problem I had was when waiting to get off the track the pads caused hot spots on the disks and warped them (not the pads fault I know). when I was stationary and waiting the brakes did not work at all (peddle went straight to the floor) also when I went out 3 times on the trot (then they suffered fade really bad).

I would rate these pads very highly. I think if I wasn't on the ring I wouldnt have had any problems at all (too much waiting about after the laps heating everything up)

Tim

I've tried mintex pads of differing flavours on a number of my cars in the past, including the GTiR and have never got along with them. Whether it's my style of braking or what, i'm not too sure. But any other material I use, I get on with and don't have a great deal of trouble with.

I currently have EBC Yellows front and rear, and bang for buck they are pretty good. Pedal feel isn't outstanding, but they inspire a lot more confidence than 1144's and 1155's imho.

Ben, If you're new to the 'ring you'll be using the brakes a heap more than you would once you know where you are going, there aren't any real big stops on the circuit at all.

bensmith907

Not my first trip to the ring and I would agree not many stops but my gtir suspension was not quite stiff/low enough to manage the corners very fast, also they opened the GP track, then I used the brakes loads. anyone any idea what happening when the peddle went straight to the floor when brakes are hot?

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes. You boiled the brake fluid and once there's vapour in the system that compresses rather than sending the force to the brake pistons.

Try DOT5.1 ?

MarkTurbo

When was the last time you completly changed the brake fluid?

Dot ratings don't really mean anything, you need a fluid with a decent wet boiling point for trackdays. The best ones are Castrol SRF, ATE super blue, or Motul RBF, motor factors specials just don't handle the heat!

bensmith907

yea I did think maybe that was the problem, thanks, (Ive never changed the fluid, but then I've only owned it for a month)