Walbro problems

marcymarc

Hi there, wondering if i could have a bit of advice please .

Right, Went to have my walbro fitted this week at a tuner near where i live,
On my way driving home after fitting i started to notice the fuel surge symptoms that people had reported here on the site in the past.

Anyway phoned the tuner up and told them the problem i was having and they told me to bring the car back saturday (today)
So i took it in as aranged and explained all what id read on the site about fuel surge and how the pick up alignment was crucial to a walbro, i also printed off bravehearts how to guide for them on their office pc:lol:
I then recieved the car back half an hour later only to find that on my way home the car was doing exactly the same:roll: (taking into account ive had to pay for the half hour of labour id just had........for a pump id already paid nearly two hours labour for it to be fitted a few days ago :roll:)

So im just wondering what my next move should be guys as far as speaking to the tuner and diagnosing the fault in general.

Thanks

rx jamie

hook your walbro up to a swirl pot in your boot and put a second pump next to the swirl pot and let that feed your engine. that would cure it.

Braveheart

Marcy,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems.... bl00dy garages... :doh:

Here's a link to a discussion surrounding the fitting:
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45699&highlight=walbro+fuel+pump

As the pump is fitted, it would not be a long or difficult job to remove boot carpet, metal plate, disconnect wires and pipes, then remove the large plastic lock nut that holds the cover/cap down and have a visual inspection (watch you do not drop large rubber oring into the tank). Check that the pump housing is secure to it's mounting plate, check that the pump itself has been secured to the housing and sitting fully forward (down towards the deepths of the tank) and check that the pick-up pipe is properly fitted with the filter sitting parallel to the bottom of tank. i.e. the 45 deg angle bends down into the tank and into the reserve fuel.

Last edited:
J

jpward

I thought it was easy enough to fit the walbro i did not have the sleave type so i mounted it diagonally in the original cradle and used the original pick up as it was clean and also reached deaper into the tank, used strong oil proof cable ties to hold pump in place and never had a problem.

I would not pay a garage to rip me off doing a little job like this ohh and dont use a lighter or candle to see in the tank LOL

marcymarc

jpward said:
I thought it was easy enough to fit the walbro i did not have the sleave type so i mounted it diagonally in the original cradle and used the original pick up as it was clean and also reached deaper into the tank, used strong oil proof cable ties to hold pump in place and never had a problem.

I would not pay a garage to rip me off doing a little job like this ohh and dont use a lighter or candle to see in the tank LOL

I wouldnt of took such a simple job to a garage normally, but they quoted me an hours labour over the phone which i didnt mind, little did i know it was gonna be near on 2 and half hours labour :roll:

Oh and by the way mongtard you may mock me because im not very good with mechanics an stuff but im trying my best to learn.
Im a builder not a mechanic, i think its just as stupid that your average person has to get someone like me to come and plaster a tiny bit of wall or joint some brick work :lol: seems easy to me but evidently not to all my customers.

marcymarc

Braveheart said:
Marcy,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems.... bl00dy garages... :doh:

Here's a link to a discussion surrounding the fitting:
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45699&highlight=walbro+fuel+pump

As the pump is fitted, it would not be a long or difficult job to remove boot carpet, metal plate, disconnect wires and pipes, then remove the large plastic lock nut that holds the cover/cap down and have a visual inspection (watch you do not drop large rubber oring into the tank). Check that the pump housing is secure to it's mounting plate, check that the pump itself has been secured to the housing and sitting fully forward (down towards the deepths of the tank) and check that the pick-up pipe is properly fitted with the filter sitting parallel to the bottom of tank. i.e. the 45 deg angle bends down into the tank and into the reserve fuel.

Looking at the dissusion surroundng the fitting im thinking they havent used the original pickup, ive got the old pump and the bits in the garage, how would i tell the walbro pick up from the nissan one?

CanadianR

and the nissan one is blackish, the walbro a tiny white thing about 1/4 the size of the nissan oem one.

If you find an answer, please tell me as well!

Does your problem come on around 4000 rpm or once you hit full boost? Mine does.

CanadianR

have you checked your plugs lately? I originally thought my problem was a fuel pump (Actually thought I burnt it out) because I was low on fuel and gave it, resulting in quite the fuel surge indeed. After that, no matter what level the gas tank was at, the surge was still there after 3500 RPM (conveniently, almost the exact same time full boost hits on the stock turbo). I yanked my plugs and put in a new set of platinums, and all the problems went away.

Now if your problem only exists when the fuel is lower or the pickup is not working at best, sorry I couldnt help you.:?

P

pulsarboby

ok mr marcymarc, firstly:
when you say surging, is the engine cutting! on cornering hard or very hard acceleration or both! is that the prob your having?

secondly:
you have paid too much! the trade approved time to do this job is 0.70hrs, which is around 45 minutes, remove and install.
so he is therefore breaking the trade law guidelines for work set out by approved time & motion to the trade.
he CANNOT charge you 2 1/2 hrs for this job to be done, and you can have him for doing so.

but like most of these so called tuner nerds, they have ways of worming there way out of things!
but if hes given you an invoice with that time and charged you for the job of fitting the pump, in black n white, then you can take it up via cab!