Walbro fuel pump

Hello, an easy question for you guys! How and were does a walbro 225 fit on? And is it a replacment for the original or an addition?
thanks chris

darkyGTI-R

It is a replacment i recently fitted mine i'm not much of a mechanic but it wasn't that hard,there is a thread on the forum.:-D

GTiR-Aholic

Open your boot.. lift up the floor carpet and to the left hand side about a foot behind the rear seat.. you will see a metal plate (domed shape) with 10/12mm bolts going round it (about 5-6 bolts).. and there's a loom going into it as well. Remove all the bolts, push the rubber through the metal plate to allow the plate to slide all the way back over the loom. Then disconnect the big pipe right infront of you. You'll now see the top of the fuel tank presented to you with 3 rubber pipes and 2 clips. Firstly remove the two clips (I use a small flat screwdriver to push them in and lift them up) and there's a third plug hidden (follow the loom) if you can undo this, it makes life easier.

Now pull the clips back on the rubber pipes, spray some "Rust Off Ice" or a similar lubricant.. twist the pipes back and forth a bit to try free them up and get the lube in so that it's easy to pull them off.. get all 3 pipes off.

Now you see the big black plastic locking nut thingy majiggy.. you need to unscrew that (anti-clockwise) so get a big flat screw driver and start tapping it round with a flat screw driver and hammer.. tap it round anti clockwise and it should unscrew off completely - remove that and then you're able to lift off the top of the tank (there is a large thick rubber seal, sometimes it comes off but if it doesn't then try leave it where it is as sometimes it's a bitch to put back!)

As you lift the head off the tank you'll see clips underneith it.. disconnect these so that you can move it out the way.

Now.. I hope you're on red light petrol because if not this is the wet part.. shine a torch in the tank and you'll see a creamy coloured plastic retainer with the fuel pump reach inside and grab a hold of the retaining bracket from the top half.. and pull/slide it towards you - with a bit of force and wriggling.. it should slide off - take it out and put it aside.. the fuel pump can now be lifted out of the tank.

Now I'm guessing your walbro pump came with the usual red/black wires that neeed to be joined on.. I opened up the connector on the original fuel pump and used that for the wires on the walbro pump so it was a direct fitment :) - but do what you prefer here.. simplest way is cut the original, and join the wires up (use heatwrap/heatshrink and obviously away from the tank so it don't blow you to smitherenes please) lol.

Now put the walbro into the position the original pump was in.. and reverse all the steps which I mentioned out above.. job done! ;)

GTiR-Aholic

As a sidenote.. if you are cutting and joining the wires.. it's best to cut them at different lengths - just for piece of mind if the heatwrap or whatever insulation you use.. corrodes/comes off inside your petrol tank.. there's no chance of the two wires meeting and causing a spark ;)

darkyGTI-R

I had connectors came in my kit so there was no need for insulation just crimp and pump that fuel lol Also with that cradle i had a bit of trouble getting that out but then i cracked it slight pressure from above and sort of get your fingers right round the back and sort of push down and pull at same time it might take a while but trust me it does work good luck!

GTiR-Aholic

you got connectors? - I fucking got nothing!! I got a black connector 1 side to go into the pump.. and blank wires on the other side - maybe it was a universal one :O lol

Thanks for the information! thats al i needed to know! i'll check tomorrow to see if its got an uprated pump in and if not, i'll put one in! :)