valve stem oil seals...

ollydj

If the heads coming off just do them mate if you have any doubts as to weather they've been done

warpspeed

I did indeed, pm me your address and paypal me the postage costs and you can borrow it as long as you send it back.
The tool is actually pretty simple, one thing you will need though is to drill out a spark plug and get an airline fitting welded on, i can't find mine anywhere!

craigcarlon

yeh ive been an owner for not so long and im finding that out.. 130 miles in 3 month :(
id love to learn but im scared of f***king it up

warpspeed

any experienced members that live near you? if you could find someone to help you you'd learn a lot, always easier being shown to actually work on your car rather than having it described over a forum

craigcarlon

yeh i know what you meen.. my friend was helping me and i was watching everything he did and helped as much as i could but hes just got a new job mapping cars, he loves it that much that he stays there til daft oclock every night so thats gone straight out the window, im new on here so dont really know anyone who is local to me so ive resorted to going to a local mechanic that says he will have a look on monday and see if he will do it (not if he can do it) id love to know what ever happend to going to a garage and them actually telling you whats wrong lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There are quite a few members in the North West; "Manchester" covers quite a large area, so I don't know how close any of them are to you though.

Does it drive at all? - If you can wait a fortnight, there's a meet organised in Warrington. I'm not suggesting anyone will fix valve seals for you, but there are some knowledgeable members who can take a look and give you their opinion. - I've had mine up on jacks with members underneath it checking the chassis legs aren't bent before now!

j0ff

I did indeed, pm me your address and paypal me the postage costs and you can borrow it as long as you send it back.
The tool is actually pretty simple, one thing you will need though is to drill out a spark plug and get an airline fitting welded on, i can't find mine anywhere!
That's sounds interesting! Care to share photos?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You'll be greatful one day! Youl look back and say ' I learned shit loads about fixing cars from owning a pulsar'
I'm sure I've seen a signature that was "GTi-R school of mechanical engineering" or something like that.

I'd have to agree; before I bought the R I wouldn't have ever dared to rebuild brake callipers or replace the lines myself; that could compromise the safety, so it should be done by a professional... but I do it now because it takes too much time (and money) to take it to someone every time, and in some cases it seems like the quality of my work is no worse than if I'd paid for it. - I guess you get burnt by the local HiQ too many times, and you just decide it's better to not even ask them.

Ditto if something like the engine or clutch needs to come out. - It used to be that I'd take it to the professionals who have hoists etc, but now I put the call out and other members come to help with all the tools and experience that I'm lacking.

That's one of the reasons I keep pimping the idea of bringing it to the next meet. - These are the people who have saved me a lot of heartache and expense; and they're the reason I keep paying my dues and try to be an active member of the club (rather than the douche that I'm sure some people think I am).

craigcarlon

i hope thats the case some day bensmith! if i had the tools and the usage of a ramp then theres more chance that id try, im picking a radiator fan up tomorrow so im goint to try and fit it myself so theres a start i suppose
could you send me some more info on the warrington meet pobody? ill pop down there, it still drives fine apart from smoking, i dont really wana drive it and damage anything though?
thanks for your help

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Looking at it now, I can see you'd already replied to it. :doh:

There was also going to be a rolling road day, but we were struggling for numbers and TDI then cancelled due to their own issues. - That may yet happen too.

johnny gtir

just take your time you will soon pick it up.only reason i do it all my self is had the car to a few local places and there work was rough

Last edited:

johnny gtir

warpspeed said:
joff said:
That's sounds interesting! Care to share photos?
second that

whytie

I love it when my pulsar breaks, means I get to out and work on it and not sit in and listen and look at my missis stupid face.