valve shims

bensmith907

Would someone be willing to cut us up some feeler gauges to put under my valve caps as a tempory measure.

I need 16x 0.005" and 1x0.010"

I will obviously cover the costs of the gauges and postage

Thanks!

wrc

I've got a good cutter you can just borrow if you like Ben? Did mine the other week and it was a god send.

bensmith907

Does it cut them at the right diameter Wrc? Might be interested if no-one else offers some pre cut.

I'm not looking forward to taking off the tensioner with the engine in situ.

wrc

Why on earth are you doing that, do it with the cams in situ mate - so much easier.

Cuts to the perfect size Ben ;)

bensmith907

You can do it in situ then? Do you lift the rocker from the pivot point then pull it out from there or something?

wrc

You can shim the buckets easily in situ by just compressing one of the valves a few mm down by hand or with a tool and then move the rocker arm to one side - there is plenty of room under the cam.

Not sure about doing the rocker pivot with the cams in though, fuckin tricky if not impossibly I'd say!

Ben the jogger/cutter is a nice hand held one, in kit form with different size cutting pieces - I stressed for months about getting the right tool, this did me proud.

P

pulsarboby

dont use 0.05mm pieces they will break, use 0.10mm or thicker

Jon Olds

wrc: Sounds like you have found the right bit of kit. Any chance you could share the make and part no. of the tool with us here?

wrc

Of course, the part you want is a Sealey product - easily available over the Internet or on eBay for about £35 which is where I got mine.

Sealey part number is AK9821 - Superb little kit.

johnny gtir

its not 100% the best fix but done correct i have seen two high power one of which was a track car work and last the test of time no problem and its not just done on the pulsar

bensmith907

It should work. apparently its been done for quite a while now on these engines. However it would appear if you use too thinner inserts or if the metal isn't well tempered :) you'll eventually crush them into nothing (which is what happened on my old head)

Obviously getting the right size shim is the best way.

Ghostie

Just seen the video on youtube of it being done, Think il be giving it ago. Do the cams have to be removed or can you just pop the rockers off in situ?

bensmith907

ha ha, no. but i have a suspicion why one of the gaps is so big. so the 16th 0.005 insert is there incase i can close the gap to meet the rest!

good observation though:lol: