V.e conversion

Im thinking about doing a partial rebuild on my engine rings, shells etc.
i have the old school j.e pistons with valve cut outs in top of piston.
ive been out the game for a while but want to get back into it and from memory these are good pistons to do a v.e conversion with?
What is needed to do the conversion?
im currently running a 3071 @400hp but want to get 500hp now what turbo do you guys who have done the conversion put on a 3076?
I know i dont need to do the ve conversion for the power but i want the range vvt gives.
Cheers for any help

Pistons will depend on the cams and the depth of the cut outs. Normal pistons are OK with 20V cams but anything more aggressive will require reliefs to be cut in the pistons. I am not familiar with the your pistons so cannot comment if the cut outs will be sufficient.

If you have the money go to a billet GT30R, will spool like you 3071 but flow enough for close to 600bhp

red reading

Billet 30r same as mine, and as ed said above about cut outs the only real way of telling is a dummy build and plasticine with the cams on max advance and lift.

Pistons will depend on the cams and the depth of the cut outs. Normal pistons are OK with 20V cams but anything more aggressive will require reliefs to be cut in the pistons. I am not familiar with the your pistons so cannot comment if the cut outs will be sufficient.

If you have the money go to a billet GT30R, will spool like you 3071 but flow enough for close to 600bhp

Im planning on doing the v.e conversion then adding the larger turbo couple of months down the line, i dont want to skint myself like i used to years ago but i can afford it all in stages if you see what i mean.
so my my pistons already have the cut outs as oposed to a dish like most, my main question is what else other than the head do i need to be gathering together?
Does anyone know anyone selling a head?

Sorry just re read your comment so id be best to get the pistons out and measure the cut outs? And decide on cams from there?
So what else do i need do i need custom inlet or do i use the inlet from the v.e head?

Can use the ve inlet or there are a few after market options.

You'll also need to run an external oil feed to the head. G spec sell a kit with everything you need.

You will also need to elongate a couple of holes in the exhaust manifold as the studs are in a slightly different place.

The other thing is to redrill the bolt and dowel holes in the head to suit the bigger gtir head bolts.

They are relatively rare in the UK, but find-able. I imported mine form the US because the exchange rate was better than the Yen at the time.

I would have a look on SR20-forum as a starting point

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
You don't need to dismantle the bottom end to measure the clearences....you need plasticine and a vernier caliper and to be very gentle turning the engine over with the head fitted......if you can't do it you need to take it to someone who has experience doing it and for them to be able to lock the cams in high lift and duration and set up the vernier adjustable pulleys for the cam timing, I know of two people who can do all this.

Id be taking the pistons out anyway jus to put a fresh set of rings on, the engine been going for five years now at 400hp with plenty of hard road use and a good few track days thrown in.
ive been thinking alot about doing this over the last few days and thinking mabe i should just rebuild the engine as is and mabe just slap a slighlty bigger turbo on it, id love to do the conversion just think the money it gonna cost me is all a bit over top for a car i drive on the roads ocasionly.
i cant see myself ever putting it on a track again

stifler1603

Can use the ve inlet or there are a few after market options.

You'll also need to run an external oil feed to the head. G spec sell a kit with everything you need.

You will also need to elongate a couple of holes in the exhaust manifold as the studs are in a slightly different place.

The other thing is to redrill the bolt and dowel holes in the head to suit the bigger gtir head bolts.
I agree with the above statement , just to add a little more info to that you will need to use the stiffest supertech valve springs u can find and retainers with oem sr16ve cams u will be able to rev this engine to 1100-1200rpm you will also need pistons with valve relieve cut outs in them or else the valve will hit the piston, on the other hand sr20ve cams are ok if you want to use the normal dish pistons
and I would recommend that you get an aftermarket intake manifold from mazworx.

Last edited: