URGENT!!! -Battery Light and Electrical Power Dying on me...

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Right after my injector resistor pack went on me we set up a live feed from the boken wire in the resistor pack direct to the battery... This temporarily solved the problem... On my way home I noticed the battery light slowly coming on followed be my electrics failing on me - lights dimming, stereo being funny, injectors not working properly etc...

When I got home my car was dead out of power...

I fitted a new injector resistor pack today and had to jump start the car... The battery light has stayed on... I went for a quick drive and the car quickly lost all electrical power...

What could this be...??? A really really flat battery or could it be the Alternator not working...

I always thought that once the car was started that the alternator took care of the electrics working...???

Thanks,

Rishi

A

AJ4

Sounds like your alternator is knacked. It normally powers all the electrics with the engine running ( and also charges the battery ). If it fails, you can run on the battery for a little while before it goes flat.

The battery light is telling you that their is not enough power coming out the alternator to charge the battery, so I'd say its defo the alternator.

( also sounds like you knacked the alternator when you did the temporary fix , maybe you shorted something out by accident ?. But I'm sure the wire would have burned out long before it did any damage even if you didn't have a fuse in the wire ?? )

Try this - disconnect the battery, (secure the leads somewhere safe ) and jump start it from another car. With the engine running, disconnect one of the jump leads. If the alternator is knacked, it will die almost straight away. Also, charge the battery and make sure it shows a good voltage fully charged, just in case it is faulty and dragging the alternator down.

MarkTurbo

If you've got a electrical test meter put it on to the 2 battery terminals and see what the voltage is with the engine running.

This will tell you if the alternators charging the battery or not. You should get a reading of around 14 volts :wink:

Si..

Rishi,

i had a very similar problem a while back, the battery light the loss of power etc etc.....

it turned out to be the bolt which holds the alternator up keeping the tension on the belt had snapped leaving the belt loose so the alternator was doing f*ck all, this has also happened to my pal on his, so have a look at that. :wink:

S

seanleed

Mine did something similar as well. On the alternator there are 2 wires plugged into the side of it, one of them had come out of the connector. I cut it back, crimped on a new connector and away it went, good as new :D

jonee

alternator

the light comes on because the alternator does not have an output
charge.the light is actualy part of the charging system,ie if the bulb blows then there is no charge.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Checked the voltage across the Alternator... Its putting out 11.75v at the Alternator so it is working just not very well... :cry:

Have managed to get one very cheap today which will arrive tomorrow... :D

Thanks to everyone for their help...

Rishi