Upgraded battery.......will it work?? need quick answer

E

Edd

Right i ordered a gel battery from local motor factors as i get trade discount 8)
anyway picked the battery up the other day and got it home and opened it up..... :shock:

Now the terminals should be okay as i would just use an eyelet connected to the wire and bolt it down.
However i'm concerned that A) the battery isn't suitable
B)the battery won't run the car properly
C)it won't pass scrutineering for trackdays due to terminals

However info off the battery is

55AH gel battery

and the best bit.....suitable for wheel chair, scooter, bike, golf and other electric vehicles :shock: :lol:

so should i take it back or will it be suitable?

geetee

Sounds like a deep cycle battery.

More suitable for long slow drain (wheelchairs etc. as it says).

Rather than a car battery which has to deliver a big belt in a short hit as you start the car, then doesn't really do much after that.

I wouldn't use it personally.

CHeers
GeeTee 8)

Keira

my mates just got a tiny ickle battery, smaller than the jap size in a pulsar, to enable him to fit his front mount on his s13 without sticking the battery in the boot, got it from apex performance

E

Edd

is it a gel battery keiron as i want to mount it on its side.

think i'll take it back :cry:

Keira

dont know mate, aint seen it. Give them a ring, i'd guess it is as its designed for race cars (allegedly :wink: ) so would imagine they wouldn't want loads of acid filled batterys hurtling round a track

E

Edd

Well the battery i have may still be okay...

have emailed the company asking for info whether it can crank a car over fine.
It seems it is mroe a deep cycle battery (like the optima yellow top) but whether it'll have the power to crank a car over repeatedly.
:cry: :?

Nad

I thought these batteries are for race cars for a one use period and cannot be charged from an alternator and can only be trickel charged.

Nad

Keira

what ones ???

The ones on apex they have used for 12 months in their s15 according to the write up

The optima ones says.....

Will my high-output alternator damage the Optima?

No, as long as the voltage is properly regulated. Because the Optima has a very low internal resistance it will accept high current more efficiently than conventional batteries.

skiddusmarkus

I have the Redtop 25 and have been worrying about it charging(not used it yet).If Apex have used it for a year,I'm a little more reassured.Best bit about them is the weight(6kg)and you can lay them down for better weight distribution.

Keira

i cant see apex recommending them to people that are fitting front mounts on sx's if they're going to fook up, i wouldn't worry simon

hmmm

only thing with them ReTops is that they are not suitable to run a decent sound set up. If you dont want any sound then they should be ok?

hmmm

only thing with them ReTops is that they are not suitable to run a decent sound set up. If you dont want any sound then they should be ok?

skiddusmarkus

I'm not even remotely interested in sound systems.I've even taken the stereo out and the speakers are next to save weight.Will take a portable radio with me on long journeys.
I'm worried about the water injection though as it draws a lot of current.