Updated used parts price for 2007.

N

NeverEnough

Hi,

The main question for this post is below. Before you answer it I must state: I do not wish to buy any of the below parts at this time.

I have searched this forum and others and prices seem to vary considerably for no reason at all. To assist me and other buyers of such parts the main question I have is..

...In your opinion what are the current 2007 going rates for the following used parts?

1) Bare Block (Do the main caps need to come with it - open to debate)
2) Crank
3) Pistons
4) Head
5) Cams
6) Gearbox
7) Transfer Box
8) Inlet Manifold
9) Standard Injectors
10) Turbo
11) ECU
12) Top Mount Intercooler
13) Any other part you deal with and know the used value of

Thanks

O

Odin

I don't think you could put a definite value on any of these parts, Their are just to many variables to think about, You will get traders like gtir spares who sell parts for far to much money then you get other people who just want rid of the stuff junking up their garages.

I have a few of these bits myself and am thinking of taking them down the skip lol.

Rob

Mr GTiR

As Rob has already stated, too many variables to take into consideration.

IMO the answer is simple, it’s down to supply and demand.

I’ve had a block for sale in the past and was unable to sell it as no one needed it at the time so let it go for £50 and another time I had one where I had about 3 people fighting over it and sold it for £250!

If no one wants to buy then it’s just a lump of scrap metal.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
NeverEnough said:
Before you answer it I must state: I do not wish to buy any of the below parts at this time.
Are you a trader? your post makes you sound llike an E-Bay seller kind of guy?

N

NeverEnough

campbellju.

I'm not a trader. I'm just an owner of a Pulsar and over the last year I have built up a collection of parts. Some I may need and some that I'm thinking of selling to clear some space.

I have paid various amonts for these parts and with some I can't help but think I have paid way too much. There are still parts I need and I want to be able to make an informed decision - not just a guess "that sounds about right".

I understand what Odin and MrGTIR are saying about varibles but I was hoping for some sort of middle mark to work from. For example.. Expect to pay £200 for a used 50K block that doesn't need a rebore. If it does need a rebore and skim expect to pay anything from £50 - £80 etc.

In my limited experience standard gearboxes seem to go for around £250. Regardless of mileage. The varibles with boxes are uprated internals (quiafe etc), fully reconditioned, gear or selection problems. Again is a rough idea but gives potential sellers and buyers an idea of what to charge/pay etc.

Your thoughts...

O

Odin

This is a very hard subject fella, For example I paid £200 for a full short block needing nothing really, You could of got away with a new set of rings and a crank regrind or just new shells if you where a bodger lol.

I have 3 alternators and 3 starter motors sitting in my garage along with 6 standard injectors, But I can't be ar5ed to sell them because what ever you ask some f*ckwit will want to knock the price down even farther.

Oh and a standard block taking up space, But that will be going to the skip shortly HeHeHe.

The only answer I can give is "HOW LONG IS A BIT OF STRING" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

rOB

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
She's always suspected it... going to meets with other blokes in cars, occasionaly going on "cruises"

N

NeverEnough

MrGTIR, Just to confirm campbellju didn't jump on me :).

Thank you for your reply's. I think Odin's reply answers my question when it comes to used parts prices for the Pulsar - "How long is a piece of string?"

I'm off to my garage now to create a list of parts that I don't need but someone on this forum might.

... Change of plan. I'm off to do a four wheel drive wheel spin in the legend know as the Nissan Pulsar. It may not have won...much...but if Nissan would of used one of the cars we have created the Rally History books would look a little different.

P

pulsarboby

rough guide price and as everyones pointed out its very rough is:

...In your opinion what are the current 2007 going rates for the following used parts?

1) Bare Block (Do the main caps need to come with it - open to debate)......if good with pistons, crank etc £300-400

2) Crank.....£100
3) Pistons.....if good with rods £100 set of 4
4) Head........£150-200
5) Cams........£60-80 pair
6) Gearbox........between £250-450 for a standard rebuilt one
7) Transfer Box......£50-100
:cool: Inlet Manifold...... complete with everything £150-180
9) Standard Injectors....£40-60
10) Turbo....................standard t28 in good nick about £120
11) ECU........................£40-60
12) Top Mount Intercooler....£10-30
13) Any other part you deal with and know the used value of

ive broken 3 cars up to yet and am breaking another now. as everyones pointed out, its supply and demand which effects price, and depends on whether your desperate to get rid of stuff you have lying around.
its partly my business so i will hold out for a fair but good price, but also give guarantee with parts whereas a lot of people will flog stuff whether its good or a load of crap, and grab the money!
all these factors contribute towards the price you will pay, ie if someone offers you a gearbox for say £150 with no comebacks or you can buy a proven good one for £350 which would you go for? bearing in mind if you go for the cheaper unit, you may be throwing your money down the drain, plus all the work to re-do it!

and yes the main caps will come with a block as there a matched part

N

NeverEnough

Pulsarboby.

Thank you for your reply. Does anyone not agree with the prices stated?

Mr GTiR

IMO you'll get more for the turbo and crank if they are in very good condition as they are always in demand. Cams are not worth that much as lots of people upgrade to HKS 264's so lots of stock items floating about.

Just my 2 pence worth.

N

NeverEnough

MrGTIR,

Than you for your 2 pence :).

I have a further question in relation to buying a block. If we hit the middle ground of say £350 for a block, crank and pistons AND the block didn't come with the main caps. Would you still buy the block without the main caps?

What issues need to be considered? If the engine is rebuilt without the original main caps would engine failure be just around the corner??

Mr GTiR

Always buy a block with main caps as they are machined together.

Pistons and crank does not matter but the block and caps do.

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
NeverEnough said:
MrGTIR,

Than you for your 2 pence :).

I have a further question in relation to buying a block. If we hit the middle ground of say £350 for a block, crank and pistons AND the block didn't come with the main caps. Would you still buy the block without the main caps?

What issues need to be considered? If the engine is rebuilt without the original main caps would engine failure be just around the corner??
If it doesn't have the correct caps it has to be line bored which costs £3-400.

Do you still have the cyl head and how much if you still have it?

P

pulsarboby

£350 is the going rate for a complete short engine ie block complete!
that means complete, theres a lot of matched parts in there and if bits are missing or all bits are chucked in a box without being marked, then to be honest you can not sell it as a short engine, just bare block with mains caps!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
oap-r said:
If it doesn't have the correct caps it has to be line bored which costs £3-400.

Do you still have the cyl head and how much if you still have it?
I agree as the caps and block are all machined from the same lump of material.

Bruce, if you have had a block line bored and it cost you £3 - 400 :shock: it only cost me £90 to have my current block line bored

By the way I agree with all bobbys rough prices too

Steve

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
stevepudney said:
Bruce, if you have had a block line bored and it cost you £3 - 400 :shock: it only cost me £90 to have my current block line bored

Steve
Sure that was the price but i'll ask anyway :? £90 seems very cheap

I have that many blow ups these days that i sometimes forget what everything is costing :oops:

Cue thunderpants with the abuse :lol:

O

Odin

oap-r said:
Cue thunderpants with the abuse :lol:

Yeah just how much is that new head costing you fella ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob