Tyre Pressures

A

Anonymous

Ive got a set of 17's with 205/40/17 tyres, wots the ideal tyre pressure for these, wot does everyone else set theirs at, ive been setting mine at 28psi...?

Gaz.

J

jasegould

I run 37 psi what is what the pressures should be according to Nissan

A

Anonymous

37psi...????

Na i reckon thats far too much m8, dunno about standard tyres but in 17's im sure its nowhere near as high as that

Thanx anyway

Gaz.

J

jasegould

Why would 17's be less pressure?? The weight of the vehicle is still the same??

I was running 34 front and 32 back but car feels better on 37

J

Jon

I run 38 on the fronts & 40 on the backs, 17" rims
28 's nearly flat innit? :lol:
i put them down to 34 when on a track but have been running these pressures for a couple of years now.
i wouldnt feel safe running 28's the way i drive.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm no chance im puttin that much pressure in my tyres

This is my 4th Gti-R now, and ive had 17's on them all, and have never had more than 30psi in them, when i bought the alloys i was told 28psi was fine...???

Dunno wots right now, wot does every else set theirs at...?

Gaz.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The best way to work out the ideal pressure is with a temperature probe, measure the temps across the tyre after a good thrash, only problem is I can't remember if the best pressure was temps of (inside , middle, outside) the same across the tyre, or low med hi, or high med low. :oops: Not much use I know, but you get the idea.
Failing that, check the wear across the tyre. If it's wearing in the middle, you're over inflated. If it's wearing on both outside edges, you're underinflated.

O

Olly

2.2 bar front and 2.0 bar rear, don't matter how big your wheels are pressures the same volume across area right? :)

A

Anonymous

I run the same tyre size as you Gez.

I've been asking this question for a while now.

There seems to be very mixed views on the topic.
CAN SOMEONE WHO REALLY KNOWS PLEASE HELP US?
GINGA? VPULSAR?

For the record, I run 34 psi front.........32 psi rear.

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
some of you guys must chew through sets of tires like its the latest craze :eek:

ftr:
2.2 bar = 32psi
2.0 bar = 29psi
but thats very low for our front which weighs SIGNIFICANTLY more than the rear

the idea is to get the fronts and rears to be similar pressure when they heat up, with the backs slightly less to induce a bit of oversteer (all quoted pressures are at COLD unless stated otherwise)

as some people have said - your wheel/rim size is irrelevant,
but the actual tire size makes a difference
(and all our cars weigh roughly the same so that doesnt have an effect)

you can pump most tires up to 45psi without any problems (push bikes, motorbikes, scooters, cars, trucks, etc)

all tyres should come with a MAX PSI rating on the sidewall (gaz - 37 is NOT too much for 17s - or any other car tire for that matter)

owners reports since the english-speaking clubs began a few years ago have shown that the optimum setting for our car is harder at the front (ie. around 40psi) and softer at the rear (ie. around 30psi) - obviously everyone has different driving styles and requirements so the exact amount varies...

running the fronts under 30psi will severely increase wear
factory pressure for most road cars is usually between 24 and 34 - nice and soft (ie. for optimum ride quality not performance)

and it's a fairly global topic... theres lots of info out there:
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0208scc_tires/index.html
http://son.pca.org/Technical_Articles/autocross_tire_pressure_calc.htm
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/pressure.htm
(good articles on wet vs dry and over vs under inflated)

turblio

I run 35 front 32 rear, but have often wondered if different pressures
would cause drag between the axles because of the change in rolling
resistance now theres a question :lol:
Frank

J

J-GTi-R

From my days as a tyre fitter monkey, you go up 2 psi for every inch increase in wheel diameter (it's to keep strength in the sidewalls).

14s = 30psi
15s = 32psi
16s = 34psi
17s = 36psi

this is a rough guide, you can balance the car a bit more by playing with tyre pressures, but you may increase uneven tyre wear.

S

samellio

When i track my r it eats the outside edge of the front tyre.. Should i try putting more pressure in as i think the most i've put in is about 35psi?
Cheers,
Sam

J

jasegould

That'll prob be because when you corner most of the weight of the vehicle is going through the out side of the tyres hence they wear more :?:

A

AZ STE

I put 34 front 32 rear on 16" the are so heavy on the front end any less and the handling suffers.

A

Anonymous

38 front, 36 back
dunno why, alignment was set at those pressures by the garage that sold me the tyres.. so I'll leave it that way. handles well, wear seems okay..

my tyres are apparently capable of 51psi, so iduno??

andygtir

on my door pillar below the umbrella holder the original nissan sticker says 2.4 bar for both the front and rear for 185/60/14, so thats what i do.