Twin Turbo

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes, I was thinking about that TSI engine too. - Reading-up on it though, the big issue is that although you build pressure geometrically (so multiply the boost rather than add it) there are other problems... like the heat of the charge being enough to melt silicone hose connectors.

I can't explain what I mean, here's wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twincharger

Yeah superchargered turbo is pretty cool and the Hillclimb Norris Evo is pretty emmense with that set-up.

How could you go about say a twin entry turbo like the MR2's run i remember my MR2 and it kicked like 3k and 5k how does that work?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Twin Turbo GTiR has been done before. I posted pics of it a few years back. You could probably search the forums for it..

skiddusmarkus

Yeah superchargered turbo is pretty cool and the Hillclimb Norris Evo is pretty emmense with that set-up.

How could you go about say a twin entry turbo like the MR2's run i remember my MR2 and it kicked like 3k and 5k how does that work?
I think those twn entry turbos just have the exhaust flange split in 2 so getting 2 pulses.I dont see how this would make any more power, but maybe would deliver it differently.

I think those twn entry turbos just have the exhaust flange split in 2 so getting 2 pulses.I dont see how this would make any more power, but maybe would deliver it differently.
Make sense the way you have put it. No it dosnt make any more power but i think it helps mainain turbo kick for longer and prob has a good range of peakpower

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Again, this has been covered before... and I think the conclusion is that the twin scroll turbos have high wank factor, but little positive improvement on a 4 cylinder engine (as there aren't enough cylinders to get a good pulse going). - I may have that wrong, but that's what I remember.

warringtonjack

Someone on here has tried the super-turbo route before i'm sure. Not sure what the results were tho. But it makes sense to me to combat the turbolag with a supercharger at lower revs. You would indeed have higher transmission losses, but wouldnt these only really show themselves at lower speeds/off the line? :noidea:

murty

i looked in to this but when i hit the obvous problem (its not practical) the way i was thinking was to get 2 in-let manifold weld them to geather or custom make one in a T shapewith a turbo each side of the engine with 2 exhasts powering up each turbo, the theroy of bying two cheap little turbos for big power with out the small power band people suffer with 1 large turbo.

but when you think about it you would suffer the same lag if not worse with two tubbys you might as well just do the single turbo preferably a small one and up the boost. this would give you more power for the longest period.

the simpelest way is usually the best way.

red reading

Now have a look at compound turbo's chap's 70+psi boost!! not that our engines would last at that kind of pressure.