Turbos... WHICH SPEC 3071?? your opinions please

boost

Hi all..

Im looking at buying a turbo at the moment.. now i would like to know which 3071 varient i should go for..? i.e compressor size, which rear end take off etc..

also what problems do you have fitting them to the manifold? i.e clearance issues etc.. and actuator fitting...

thanks

keith

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Call turbo dynamics they will be as cheap as any other. Ask for there 2.75" inlet version recommendation, there version is supplied with an actuator that fits specific to the pulsar and it will all just bolt up into place as easy as any other turbo. You could probably do a bit of price matching as well, that might get there price down if its a bit high.......

boost

called them and there just the middle man.. they didnt know alot.. in my opinion, but available at 750+ vat off the shelf from garrett.

Mad

Trims vary and would also depend on what power you are looking for but would recommend a 56 trim compressor and .86 exhaust housing. That gives you power but with reasonable spin up.

boost

shroom i called turbo dynamics direct not garrett, i asked them do they do a gt3071r turbo and also if they do one to suit the pulsar as a direct fit. they said we do gt3071in general but he didnt say that they are actually vechile specific so i assume they need an actuator bracket etc and possible the compressor housing spinning a bit..

there 750+vat online. but they said Garrett have them on the shelf.. if you get what i mean..

they didnt have the Vband option available though.. only a bolt on type on the rear of the turbo which isnt what im after..

Not bad price though..

also i said what psi are they good up too.. he couldnt tell me, also tried saying repairs to it are 195+ vat.. which is nonsense as they cant be repaired you need a new core.. then he said ow well yes its just as cheap to buy a new one.. thats what i thought...

thanks

shroom

yer sounds like you got a phone monkey or something,
thanks for the infor much apreciated seems like a good price for what it is

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
on the phone to them right now and have found out why you got that answer

they have been bought out and the whole team has changed but I have asked the right questions.........

You as a private individual cannot buy direct from Garrett, they only sell to authorised dealers.
You'll actually be hard pushed to find any turbo supplier that supplies one off the shelf to fit the pulsar anymore, theirs just not enough demand for them.
On any 3071 upgrade you'd have to change your inlet to suit the size of the compressor inlet.
All ball bearing turbo's of this size with the right mapping WILL go up to and just over 2 bar, if you want anymore than 2 bar (if it's a road car at that pressure it would be undriveable on UK roads anyway) I would suggest you go to the 3076r.

TD can get you a 3071r in on a next day delivery which will fit the pulsar, they can also supply the actuator but you will have to fab or get made a bracket to fit the actuator. Not sure why you want a V band fitment for but I assume it's for an after market downpipe/exhaust. If you still want to go that route then they can accommodate that as well.

It's all there you just need to ask the right questions ;-)

boost

thanks steve, i always get a phone monkey..

also do you have shares in TD? ha ha

yes the vband fitment i need as im getting the exhaust fabricated after its all in... i thought it would be easier to fabricate and also in my opinion it would be neater/ better setup that way..

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
We spoke to the same bloke, believe it or not he's now the head tech ........you just need to ask the right questions ;-)

and no I haven't got shares :lol: just that the last team to run it always gave me top notch service.

boost

Thanks steve, these would work out cheaper than getting than the states at that price..

steve do you run one...?

if so what spec one do you have... and do you find it spools up nice and early...

thanks

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I did yes...........

I experimented with 2 specs of the 3071

This one first and then this one

either of them are well suited to the SR20 and well suited to the road but it does depend on who sets it up and maps the ECU. The first smaller one will give you almost instant no lag spool up from 2800 - 3000 rpm but the power does tail off slightly after 6500 rpm the second larger one comes in about 3000 - 3200 rpm but the power band would keep on going well over the rev limit if allowed. I ran between 1.4 - 1.9/2 bar on both.

If I was going to do it again for road use I would definitely go for the smaller one and run about 1.6 bar for around 420 break....... anything over that in my opinion is overkill for a road going pulsar..........

Trip

Keeping on the same subject:

What you your views to use the large framed GT3071R with 60mm 84trim and using a 0.63A/R T25-plus turbine housing with 2.5" v-band discharge (external gate). Although using the small A/R, this housing should also keep surge low and eliminate the other limitation of the small internal wastegate GT28 style 5-bolt housing. A 2.75" compressor housing can be used keeping the turbo clear from the bellhousing. The only down side is fitting an external wastegate and fabricating a new elbow (good excuse to go for a front exit exhaust).

Turbine housing, we call it "T25 Plus", T25 inlet flanged, T31-V-Band outlet, Externally wastegated, flows like full T3. Available for full size GT3071R/GT3076R turbine wheel. Allows full T3 flow but on T25 flanged manifold. Turbine housing available in .63 A/R and .82 A/R

In my opinion, the turbine wheel used on the large frame GT3071R (60mm/84trim) is a better match for the compressor wheel (71mm/56 trim).

I

iomegalinux

thank you steve for all that good info.
i'm aiming a gt3071r .64 compressor wheel (for the quick spool, less top end)
for direct drop-in except the flange from intake (2 bolts) and cold side (3 bolts) what i have to check ?
i'll go internal wastegate.
i guest that i'll need new oil braided hose.

thank you