turbo

GTIR1000

had the car parked up for over year and a half, changed the breather system round, changed oil, plugs etc now the car wont boost very well blue smoke comes out on idle after leaving for a long period of time and smoke from between the two housing on the turbo. Im assuming this is the oil seals on the turbo just seemed strange how it was fine before

cheers jamie

ollydj

I left my motor parked up in a shed over winter and didn't run it. When I went back to it after 4 months I had the same fault. Just had my tubby rebuilt, all sorted now. I think the seals must dry out if the car isn't run??

ollydj

AET engineering, it was £444 inc vat for a stage 1 build. 360 thrust bearings etc. the only issue I had with them was they wouldn't warrant the turbo because it had minor cracks around the waist gate as does most of them, they wanted an extra 175 for a new exhaust turbine housing which I didn't wanna pay as I know there was no issues with boost before and my car will be going up for sale soon.

GTIR1000

I was thinking about a rebuild but bob has a couple in that I shall hopefully be purchasing, bloody cars how can they break when they don't run lol

ollydj

yea its a bit of nightmare like, the turbo ive just had rebuilt was a second hand unit which i had off bob. But not long after fitting it my engine blew so it was stood up for ages off the car with no oil in it, thats why i think it started to pass oil when i fitted my new engine. I think ive done 1500 miles tops in it since fitting the engine 2 years or so ago lol

GTIR1000

i removed the standard catch can in favour of just a single hose and then put a little breather filter on the other out let on top of the rocker

bensmith907

Not sure if its the same thing but on some jet engines when they've been left for a long time need a good blast to rebuild the carbon seals up. I have no idea on cars but it might be worth changing the oil to a pure mineral oil then giving it the beans for the sake of getting a new turbo or rebuild