Turbo Timer queries?

A

Andybtsn

Basically what do these do?

How do they work?

which is essential to prolong the life of a turbocharger.
Is this quote true?

Cheers

houghy_1

In a way yes they do prolong the life of your turbo.

They allow the oil running through the turbo to cool the bearing enough
so that if you'd just been giving it some then the heat in the oil wouldnt just bake after turning off the ignition.

Not the best description but i think thats nearly right.:?
Some one else will give a better description im sure;-)

I think its generally accepted that for the last 5 minutes of your journey just stay off the boost and drive casually.
It wouldnt hurt to sit in your R for 1 or 2 minutes afterwards though.

Matt

C

clive760

it might go missing

wel ther good to hav meaning u can leave your car run while your in house making tea but dont set it to run 2 long as your car might vanish,but il be onest with u its no diffrent in seating in car for 30seconds BUT IT LOOKS GOOD WHEN U HAV KEYS & CAR STILL RUNNING

houghy_1

BUT IT LOOKS GOOD WHEN U HAV KEYS & CAR STILL RUNNING
Damn right but i cant get mine to work properly,its some razo thing with no insructions so i just do the sitting in the car routine:oops: :oops: :lol:
Some alarms accept a turbo timer and some dont btw.

timmy

The basis of it is that the oil running through your turbo while on boost can get upto anywhere near 500 to 600 degrees. If you then stop and turn your engine off straight away then that hot oil will sit on the bearings and not do them much good. A turbo timer is just an automatic device that leaves your engine idling for a set time after removing the keys the get this hot oil off the bearings and get cooler stuff from the sump to them. It's just as easy to stop and then not turn your engine off straight away after hard driving but it depends on how quickly you need to get out of the car e.g. if your runing late for work.

G

GTI-R Kid

Just to add to everything already said above ...

If the oil is not given some chance to cool down after a run then it can't flow properly and the very hot oil can form a build-up of sludge making life harder for the turbo bearings. It might sound strange to be cooling oil by leaving the engine running, but the heat build up is not as great as when giving it some or even just ordinary driving.

Timers come in both manual and automatic versions (though the auto's usually have a manual function). This means that after driving you can let the timer determine how long to run the engine to cool down, or you can decide to put in a preset amount of time.8)

And another handy feature (which I used many times myself) is that you can start the car cold in the morning, set a desired time on the timer, lock the doors and go back inside the house with the car running until the count-down ends. The advantage is that the car is warm inside, and more importantly, the engine oil gets a chance to get some heat into it. Means you don't have to drive like Ms Daisy for the first 10 mins of your journey while you wait for the car to warm up.;-)

Obviously it isn't a great idea to do the above if you can't see the car or there's any risk of it being nicked.:evil:

And since it wasn't mentioned, and in case you don't know, the steering lock kicks in when the key is removed from the ignition barrel. So even with the car running and drivable, once the lock kicks in there's no more steering.:shock:

O

Odin

I have a turbo timer but I think there a waste of time really, Oh and you can't steal a car with a turbo timer because as soon as you put your foot down on the gas it will stop running anyway :roll: you numptys :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I just spend the last 1/2 mile to a mile running at a slower speed, It is also not a good idea to start a car up and leave it running for ages :roll: It doesn't do it any good at all.

Oh and it also against the law to leave a car unattended with the engine running so you could end up in court if you not careful :shock: .

Another point is that if your using a good quality oil like PRO S and you change it every 3-6k then there isn't really any danger of getting sludge in your engine, The only turbo cars that can suffer from a sludge problem are those that only use oil cooling for the turbo and not both water and oil like the R does.

Rob

G

GTI-R Kid

Thunder God said:
I have a turbo timer but I think there a waste of time really, Oh and you can't steal a car with a turbo timer because as soon as you put your foot down on the gas it will stop running anyway :roll: you numptys :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Our old Ultra timer (came with the car) would let the car be driven away but steering lock would have kicked in so thief wouldn't get far. Newer timers come with extra protection linked to the handbrake - as soon as the handbrake is taken off the engine dies so car goes nowhere. Hence the reason we're gonna fit a new Blitz timer to our car.:p
I just spend the last 1/2 mile to a mile running at a slower speed, It is also not a good idea to start a car up and leave it running for ages :roll: It doesn't do it any good at all..
I wasn't suggesting leaving it for ages. I used to set it for 10 mins, finish my cuppa and brekkie, then head out to the car which is nice and warm inside and the oil is getting up to temp too. Saves me having to drive off boost for the first 10 mins of my journey while I wait for the oil to warm.:roll:
Oh and it also against the law to leave a car unattended with the engine running so you could end up in court if you not careful :shock: ..
Dunno if thats the case in Ireland - though I really should find out!:oops:

O

Odin

If you try putting your foot on the gas in my car when the turbo timer is working it just stops all together.

I must have a posh one fitted un like the rest of you with your pikey timers lol.

Rob

S

Stoned

Yeah or if u wanted to do that just get an alarm with remote start, lets you do the same thing

dobby

Stoned said:
Yeah or if u wanted to do that just get an alarm with remote start, lets you do the same thing
the guy that fitted my alarm said remote starts invalidates the cars insurance.
so that wouldnt be a good idea.
come to think of it, he told me turbo timers do aswell.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
The basic idea behind a turbo timer is to allow the oil and water to continue flowing through the turbo primarity to allow the turbo to cool down...

This because if you've been on a hard run the the turbo will be at extremely high temps... If you just cut the engine, these tempratures will burn the oil and it will break down... Now each time you do this you are allowing burnt and degraded oil to flow through your engine and turbo and it won't be upto the job it was designed for... This will lead to shortened life of your oil and if not replaced will lead to lower oil presures and shortened life of your engine and turbo...

Rishi

houghy_1

Told you someone would reply with a more technical explanation;-) 8)

I was along those lines just didnt wanna make an ass of myself:p

Matt

Mad

I'm going to start an argument now and say they're a complete waste of time and probably do more harm than good for your turbo. :D:D:D

Modern turbos are water cooled as well, not just oil cooled, and the temperature of the turbo will not change by that much even after a 10 minute 'cool down'. Even after switch off, water still circulates and cools ( same principle as a central heating system ). Why would you want to keep running the engine and blowing hot gas through the turbo while your trying to cool it down ? You'd have to run the car for at least 30 mins for it to really make a difference.

The reason they are bad is because 99% of them allow the engine to idle. At idle, the oil pressure is too low and circulates too slowly to be of any use cooling the turbo and is more likely to carbonise. The turbo will cool quicker if you just switch it off as soon as the engine ( and turbo ) falls to idle speed . If you've had a really hard run, keeps the revs at 2500 rpm for a minute or two to keep oil circulating.

I believe turbo timers are a complete waste of money and are only possibly worthwhile on older cars with non water cooled turbos :D I have never, ever heard of someone damage a turbo from switching the engine off too soon.

Go on, I know I'm going to receive at least one serious death threat from the usual plums for that one ;)

O

Odin

Well at least one person agree's with me lol.

Rob

ps nice sig ross hahahahahaha

M

Momighty

Ive been told that when your turbo timer is counting down you cannot set your alarm as it cuts out the turbo timer?

Is this true?

Last edited by a moderator: