turbo testing

mattytappy

Hi all....probably gunna get bitch slapped by you experianced guys out :roll: there but not so long ago i bought a roller bearing turbo of off fleebay supposedly cappable of running 380 bhp,cough cough:p .....now ive already read reports of these cheap japenesse turbos not being up too scratch,but for the price i got it for it was worth a punt i thought....what i wanted to know? does anyone know of a good turbo company who could test the turbo maybe even ceramic coat it at the same time as testing(if its ok) in the kent area....really want to test the realiability of the thing before scrapping my nuckles up again getting the old turbo off and the new one on...thought it might be wise to see if the thing was gunna be able to take the abuse and not waste all my effort on fitting the thing too then see it spit oil everywhere:cry: ...also to find out if the chap that i bought it of was telling the truth about the cappabilitys of the turbo....if he is not it might be nice for everyone else to know who it is;-)

O

Odin

:shock: :doh: Bought a turbo from eBay :der: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Good luck with that fella ;-)

Rob

mattytappy

:doh: Thanks for the help...always a pleasure when you get someone of emense experaince helping you with advice like that....:lol: worth paying £20 a year for ;-)

O

Odin

mattytappy said:
:doh: Thanks for the help...always a pleasure when you get someone of immense experience helping you with advice like that....:lol: worth paying £20 a year for ;-)

That's the point old chap ;-) , With my wealth of experience I know better than to buy a turbo off eBay in the first place ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Oh and you're welcome :thumbsup:

Rob

O

Odin

On a more sensible note, I don't think any UK based manufacturer of turbo's will want to test some old grot you bought off flea bay, So I think you will struggle to get it tested.

You can only try I suppose, Maybe turbo dynamics or Owen developments.

Rob

mattytappy

my thinking was a bit blurred i must admit:roll: and i did buy it knowing that i had read some dodgy reports but for the silly price of £160 for a new roller bearing turbo...thought it may be worth a crack to see if it held up....if it did then well bobs your uncle if it didnt lesson learned....the hard way but sometimes thats the only way i seem to learn:doh: but in regards to testing why do you think uk turbo testers wont wanna touch it???
has anyone else ever had a turbo tested before????any idears on the costing

O

Odin

You may get lucky and one of them will look at it for you, But I don't expect you to like their report much lol.

Rob

mattytappy

theres nothing more i like than a positive attitude towards small problems in life :lol: if the results are bad then so be it just wanna know where i could possibly get it looked at to see if its worth losing all that skin fitting the bloody thing.......anyone had there turbo ceramic coated....did or has it kepted the heat inn?

O

Odin

mattytappy said:
there's nothing more i like than a positive attitude towards small problems in life :lol: if the results are bad then so be it just wanna know where i could possibly get it looked at to see if its worth losing all that skin fitting the bloody thing.......anyone had there turbo ceramic coated....did or has it kept the heat inn?

Yes I had my last turbo ceramic coated and my new one has also been done, It works very well indeed, On a sour note :doh: , Mic bought one of these turbo's and it lasted a whole 100 miles before letting go :shock: :roll: .

Rob

mattytappy

:lol: lol...had a funny feeling you might not disclose that info ha ah ah.....................sssooooooooooooo....how much£££££££££

O

Odin

mattytappy said:
:lol: lol...had a funny feeling you might not disclose that info ha ah ah.....................sssooooooooooooo....how much£££££££££
Was about $300 I think ;-) , But that was for the turbo/waste gate screamer pipe/manifold and down pipe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I seem to remember when I just had the turbo done last time it was around a $100.

Rob

P

pulsarboby

only thing i would suggest matt, is slap it on and try it!
not worth spending any money getting it coated etc.
if your lucky it may be all ok, but have to agree that those chinese copies are pretty poor to say the least, and dont normally last.

as for essex turbos (dont bother) there about as good as the chinese turbos lol
if it does turn out to be ok then remove it at a later stage, and maybe then spend a few quid on it getting it coated.

one thing ive learned with some of this gear, is that you really do get what you pay for, and in the longrun cheapness isnt always the best policy;-)

mattytappy

yeh bob i know your right fella...just thought i would give it a punt.....being a newbie im aloud to make a mistake or two eh;-) ;-) also i wont coat it unless i had it tested and it was given a positive thumbs up....but as odin has informed me in his infanate wisdom i doubt anyone will touch it and YES ive probably done a wrongen buy buying it but lifes for living....what would have happened if colombus had said **** it il stay in and have a nice cup of tea instead...we woulndnt have MC DONALDS:lol:

steve963

pulsarboby said:
one thing ive learned with some of this gear, is that you really do get what you pay for, and in the longrun cheapness isnt always the best policy;-)
heer heer:thumbsup:

edited because: i thought you said cheapness was the best policy lol

P

pulsarboby

leave it with me matty, theres a guy not too far away from me that supposedly builds turbos for a very cheap price.
dont know what his works like or much about him at all come to that, but hes actually meant to be good.
il try and get hold of his number tomorrow for you, and you can have a chat with him about it yourself!

and yep old columbus has got a lot to answer for, its down to him that im now a fat fcuker, the bastad:lol: