turbo techies knowledge wanted????????

A

Anonymous

Edd said:
i looked at ones with ur engine on the stand with the turbo fitted and just the turbo elbow on..
is ur turbo 4 inch inlet?
never measured the inlet per say but,the exhaust and elbow is 4" stainless pipe.poss just doesn't look so big in the photo's :?

E

Edd

lol i tired posting a pic about 5 times and it kept crashing and as soon as i wrote piece of sht forum it posted that fine :?

E

Edd

i presume you have 4 inch inlet, so if you compare inlet to the elbow the elbow is most likely 3 inch

A

Anonymous

Edd said:
i presume you have 4 inch inlet, so if you compare inlet to the elbow the elbow is most likely 3 inch
then the inlet must be bigger than 4" as i'm almost positive the exhaust and elbow were made from 4" stainless pipe.i don't even have the car to measure it but i will measure it asap.just for you edd :D

E

Edd

although don't get that dogdy ruler out ur missus uses to make you feel better by thinking your bigger than you really are :wink: :lol:

A

Anonymous

Edd said:
although don't get that dogdy ruler out ur missus uses to make you feel better by thinking your bigger than you really are :wink: :lol:
i didn't get close enough to that miserable cow for that :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Nad

oap-r said:
nad said:
Because I was just showing what difference they can have and it is clearly shown and easier to understand with NA cars. As with most turbo cars u should treat them as NA first, get as much power out of them like that then strap the turbo on. This was exactly the same route of thinking that Norris took with his Evo. No bit of info can be seen as irrelevant as its another bit of info for the mind.
who cares about what happens with n/a cars :?: unless i'm mistaken,none of us are taking our engines back to the start of the tuning process.we all have turbo'd engines and i can't see the point of "muddying the waters" with n/a tuning methods :? oh come on nad,be reasonable ffs.i hardly think that any of us,no matter how anal retentive we are :wink: ,are in the same league or have the same tuning budget as simon.

you,as well as several others on here,seem hell bent on reinventing the wheel just because you've read a few books,studying for a degree or because somebody labels you as a guru.

nad said:
Once again I was making a point about what manifold designs can do to the engine. U may have the same figures but strap a 34mm restirictor on ur turbo like rally cars do and u will lose it all. The point was about matching ur manifold to what u want. Even so it is not as important on a turbo car every little helps so once again this is why I put the NA stuff in here. A turbo'd engines manifold will still roughly work along the same principles.
wtf has restrictors got to do with us :?: we all seem to be trying to increase power/torque levels not limit them :? the rally teams also have various ways and means of increasing the power/torque levels that we don't have access to.quoting n/a techniques to a forum of turbo nutters just confuses the issues we are dealing with.

if someone on here asks questions about getting the most out of their cars engines,it's up to us as a group to give info that we know works,is reasonably practical and doesn't cost the earth.we shouldn't be quoting from text books and filling their heads with impractical,uneconomical bollox.
What has having not enough money got to do with starting with an NA tuning base??? Some ppl have money, some dont like to do things the easy way. Why to do head work do u have to go back to the start of the tuning process?? Some NA tuning methods are the same and I was pointing it out in this context AS IT MAKES IT EASIER FOR THOSE WHO ARENT AS TECHINICALLY MINDED! just like manifold which was what this post started out as asking. When we are taught about engines we dont bother about turbos and superchargers as all they change in the amount of air that can be forced in, they dont change the flow of it. Taking the turbo out of the equation makes things easier to understand.

J started to talk about NA tuning first so why not go an pick an arguement with him. Had it not been for me pointing it out then most ppl would have thought he was on about a turbo charged car. Did he have a go at me for pointing it out?? No, as it wasnt a dig at him, it was just another bit of info to help out.

To invent something new u have to have a different perspective on things. This is what they teach u at uni. Why doesnt the wheel need reinventing?? It can only easily travel in 2 directions, a sphere would be better as in the new Audi RSQ concept, so someone is already trying to reinvent the wheel.

Restrictors have nothing to do with us. I was pointing out that in a certain situations where they are used engines are then designed around them, including the manifold, once again the main reasoning behind this post.

Some people like to take different routes. Why should everyone go down the same route, development then goes out the window. Coxie seems happy with my info. If you arent dont take any notice of it. Arguing does not resolve the issue nor does it provide anymore info. Have I ever argued against a point anyone else has ever made if I dont have any decent info to add????

No

Thanks for ur imput anyway.

Nad

323GT-R

I agree to some extent with the follow N/A tuning principles on a turbo car, but not fully. The requirements of a turbo engine are different, and the steps to be followed and the methods used have to differ to get the best results.

If you took the cams from a 300BHP 2 litre non turbo engine and stuck them in a 2 litre turbo engine with the same timing, it would run like cr*p for example. Also with a non turbo engine, you may look to increase capacity by maximising the bore and stroke, on a turbo engine, this wouldn't be necesary, as the turbo can provide all the air you need, hence the strength of the bore becomes more important than the diameter. As has already been mentioned, things like pulse tuning are almost impossible on a turbo engine. Just a few examples of the differences ;)

Nad

323GT-R said:
I agree to some extent with the follow N/A tuning principles on a turbo car, but not fully. The requirements of a turbo engine are different, and the steps to be followed and the methods used have to differ to get the best results.

If you took the cams from a 300BHP 2 litre non turbo engine and stuck them in a 2 litre turbo engine with the same timing, it would run like cr*p for example. Also with a non turbo engine, you may look to increase capacity by maximising the bore and stroke, on a turbo engine, this wouldn't be necesary, as the turbo can provide all the air you need, hence the strength of the bore becomes more important than the diameter. As has already been mentioned, things like pulse tuning are almost impossible on a turbo engine. Just a few examples of the differences ;)
I thought we were just on about flow of air through the engine :wink: as that the most important thing with an NA isnt it, as u cant force air in.

Nad

323GT-R

lol! Are we far enough off topic yet? :lol:

Airflow through the engine is different, that small wheel in the exhaust really screws up the airflow... :p

P

pimppulsar

well just to let you know i run the turbo technics hybrid turbo and at 1.2bar i made 350bhp and 334ft/lbs i havent rolling roaded it since i'm running 1.65bar?

Nad

323GT-R said:
lol! Are we far enough off topic yet? :lol:

Airflow through the engine is different, that small wheel in the exhaust really screws up the airflow... :p
Doesnt it suck it out though ;)

Nad