turbo play

nex

I've had a quick search but couldnt find any advice which really fits my question so apologies if its already been posted.

Having not long had my gtir, I have started going over bits and pieces here and there, cleaning, checking etc etc so if something is wrong I know about it before it goes bump big style. So after removing (angle grinding) the rally guard off the front, I unblolted the turbo inlet pipe off to get access impeller shaft

Now there seems to be some minor play, it reallt does feel minor but you can def feel it isnt solid? also there is some oil in the outlet into the top mount. So i presume the seals and bearings are on their way out? As a side its boosting fine, and spinning the impeller doesnt give any grinding or rough sounds.

So being my first turbo car I need a lil advice? Should it feel 100% solid? if so should keep my eye open for a turbo at a good price? or panic and buy the first one that comes along? or just wait until it really makes some horrid sounds. I have a second car so being off the road is not really issue.

Thanks in advance

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
nex said:
I Should it feel 100% solid? if so should keep my eye open for a turbo at a good price? or panic and buy the first one that comes along? or just wait until it really makes some horrid sounds.
Smoke will the clue when to change it.

A brand new one might be 100% solid, but a small amount of play is normal when they're getting on abit.

As Keira says, stop worrying, or you might as well sell the car now before something realy breaks.:doh:

davey red.r

and get saving because theres going to be a lot of breaks going on:x say goodbye to your misses and any holidays or clothes you may want now:lol: :lol: cos these things are a dominant financial burden in y
our life, worth it for some,save yourself a fortune, and torch it now:lol: :lol:

mattytappy

great advice lads:roll:

just keep driving it till she blows.....the oil might have come from the crank case breather that conects to the intake side if the turbo,..they can get clogged with oil mist and vapors...mine was a bit soden with oil when i took it off to clean for the first time....as the guys have said just look out for plooms of smoke behind you then you know its gone;-)

nex

cheers for the advice lads, on another note, think i might have found why twice in the last week its ran like a bag of shit at random for 20 mins the cleared up. Whoever last changed the dizzy cap somehow left what looks like a piece of broken rotor arm inside. looks a bit melted like it has stuck to a contact from time to time then took a while to burn off lol.

davey red.r

exactly im happy walking around unshaven :oops: and holes in my black sandshoes:lol: :lol: but its all worth it when you put your foot down and loss your licence:lol: :lol: and it effortlessly overtakes fiesta popular plusses, and fiat pandas ,and austin allegros:lol: :lol: ;-)

Adam L

Just a word of advice, a turbo works on a floating assembely, hence the oil feed and drain. There's going to be movement because if it was as tight as a nuns chuff if wouldn't spin. Unless you're familiar with checking side to side movment, you're not going to know what's excessive or what's fine, smoke from the exhaust will more than likely give it away. The real killer is thrust play, once you've worn that bearing the collars/shaft/compressor wheel/bearing housing will all need either replacing, unless you're able to oversize the ring on the shaft and bush the bearing housing.

Oil seapage is normal on a turbo car, unless it's a runny film.