Turbo manifold question...

S

slammed_gtir

Can someone tell me best place to get a manifold with a t3 flange and to carry an external wastegate?

S

slammed_gtir

also what sutible turbos are avaible with external wastegates? with out the expense of running a gt series turbo?

Fazz

The whole turbo/manifold thoughts has me temporarily on hold for buying parts!

Basically, you will need to get most manifolds adjusted and custom extended to suit the fitting of a T3 Turbo ( assuming 4" inlet or even less in some cases.

Other alternative is to get a custom job in the first place where they take the measurements and ensure all fit to your requirements.

Bear in mind, intercooler pipes will most likely move, together with radiator fan at the least...

I've decided to hold on this until I'm certain I want the hell that will come with it!

I've only looked at the GT3071, GT3076 and GT3040 turbo's with external wastegates - but these seem out fo your budget.
If this is the case, then getting a manifold to fit and custom piping may also be lad...

Think the 3071 is the main one that will fit with little/no adjusting or moving required.. still researching if it can be sued with standard manifold but think so..

Oh the Joy ahead...

S

slammed_gtir

well im from the vauxhall world mate and theres someone in brazil who people are buying garret ap t34 turbos off for only £300, he sells external wastegates etc also these turbos are good for 300 - 350 brake but he can do different exhaust and compressor housings etc for different bhp ranges. The are also really strong forgiving turbos that can take alot of stick like turbo stall etc unlike the gtseries etc which are far better turbos but more figile. Obvoiusly theres more lag with them tho. Im wondering how much work will be involved to fit one.

Fazz

A few basics for you so:

On standard manifold placemetn or similar turbo placement form tubular manifold, the biggest turbo that will fit will have a 2.75" inlet, or 3" tops.
After this the gearbox casing is a problem and either needs to be shaved as some have done, or the manifold needs to be cut up and extended to move the turbo a bit.
The latter means moving intercooler pipes, customing down pipes as well as extending the manifold. Basically, an expensive job.

The standard GTI-R turbo is good for around 330bhp give or take 10bhp.
This is at 1.2-1.4bar.

To get more power, you will need to uprate injectors, air flow meter and turbo.
- assuming you've already done the collection of exhaust/boost controller/air flow controller etc to get to the 330bhp. Front mount intercooler in there too..

For safety then you will need an aftermarket ecu or piggyback job - Apexi Power FC being the most common, or GReddy Emanage.

Then you have sundries such as tubular manifold, external gate for better boost control etc etc...

I haven't a clue on the turbo's you've mentioned but perhaps some more knowledgeable lads will post up shortly when they see this.

If they do work then let us know, but I'd have thought it would've been discovered before now.... ?

ashills

if u want to stay away from the gt series turbos then look at precisions turbos sc series they are pretty tuf at are a big hit in the us

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
slammed_gtir said:
well im from the vauxhall world mate and theres someone in brazil who people are buying garret ap t34 turbos off for only £300,

The T series turbos are World War II technology...

The GT series is the way to go... They aren't fragile either...

Rishi

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
ashills said:
if u want to stay away from the gt series turbos then look at precisions turbos sc series they are pretty tuf at are a big hit in the us

Precision use Garrett GT Cores...

SC Series are 360 Washers aren't they... Think Mitsubushi/GReddy use the same too...

Rishi

Last edited:
N

Ninja_tune_factory

Like many other have said ,the custome manifold root is the ansaw,there are some very good companys out there that can do this for you.

one company i use is Full-race.com also if you go over to the other gtir forum and talk to THE BEAR he can get you a simler vertion of this manifold to fit any turbo to.