Turbo Issues

snoon

Hi All,

Had my standard T28 rebuilt by AET with 360 degree bearings etc in Dec.

When having my Haltech fitted it seems to be smoking, so took intake pipe off and there was loads of play int he turbo shaft.

It was a shock as this is before they have mapped it on boost:shock: ! I have done less than a thousand miles with the new tubby.:cry:

AET have come back to me today and advised that the Thrust Bearing has held up but the normal bearings have been rubbing against the shaft and have given up.

I don't get it as I haven't hardly done any miles or had any decent amount of boost through it since Dec?!?!

AET reckon that the issue is 1 of 2 things....
1. that the oil feed pipe is partially blocked causing low pressure.
2. Engine oil pressure is not high enough.

I was pretty sure that my pressure levels on the standard gauge are what you'd expect to see?

Any on got any thoughts?

Cheers

Shaun

P

pulsarboby

all of them say exactly the same thing lol
its there way of covering there asses if it comes back! i had exactly the same prob with another turbo builder and was told the same thing, when i 100% knew there were no engine or pressure probs.
i swear they dont fully recon the tubbys and only replace parts they can see are faulty (same as gearboxes) then they charge you an arm and leg and sell as a completely refurbed unit.
lets face it, whos gonna rip it apart to check that every part has been replaced!

snoon

in dec it had...
New Thurst bearing
New compressor & wheel
total seal piston ring

He said it is in a worse state than when he had it in Dec.

Who knows, just cost me £423 inc vat to have it all rebuilt - again. And now I need to check out pressure, and get a new iol feed line to be sure.

Might just sell the brand new freshly rebuilt turbo and go for a GT30.

How do you reckon my rebuilt T28 could be worth? Prob not event the £423 I have just paid!!

youngsyp

Sounds like they haven't balanced the new shaft assembly properly.

Sorry to hear it mate but, it looks like more cowboys out there !

Paul

snoon

They are saying it wasn't anything to do with the build - but then they would say that!

I might aswell keep it if I'm paying £423 for it and it is only worth tops £400. How does that work?!?

I was under the impression AET were really good at building tubbys.

youngsyp

snoon said:
They are saying it wasn't anything to do with the build - but then they would say that!
Yep, and the symptoms of the bearing rubbing could quite conceivably be the shaft vibrating from being out of balance.

Unless you got an independant inspection of the wear bud, you're stuffed.

Unfortunately, it's an expensive lesson but, you'll never use them again, as I'd hope no one else on here would now.

Paul

gunmetalgtir

snoon said:
I might aswell keep it if I'm paying £423 for it and it is only worth tops £400. How does that work?!?

It's because even though it's been freshly refurbed and done 0 miles, buyers will still view this as a second hand turbo and want to pay less for it!

snoon

Yet again - I've had my pants pulled down and shafted.

Atleast I'm used to it now I have owned an R for over 2 and a half years!

EVOBAD

putting a 360 thrus bearing in the strd turbo isnt alot better than the strd bearing your not going to get any more power doing this as iv been there & done that many moons ago go for the gt series gt30 worked well on my old car to get the best results from it you must run 380bhp plus

EVOBAD

no wonder the shaft has play in it what size is the compressor wheel plus the inlet outlet of the turbo

snoon

Compressor - Inducer 46.5mm, Exducer 60.0mm, trim 60, A/R 0.60
Turbine Wheel – Exducer 53.00mm, Trim 62, A/R 0.64, internally wastegated

all in standard housing.

ashills

aet are a top company from all the work they have done for me in the past are you sure theres no issues with car before going to town on them ??

P

pulsarboby

yeah in all fairness to aet, no one knows its there fault (could well be due to an engine fault) or running too higher boost through it!
dont take long to blow a tubby if thats the case.

but i still dont believe that a rebuilt turbo has all new parts fitted in many occasions! so easy for them or any other company to just replace the defective part, clean it up so its all nice n shiny, put there tab on it and charge you 4 to 500 quid upwards.

whether its turbo, engine or g,box reconditioned means fully rebuilt with new internal parts whilst keeping the outer casing, but that very rarely is the case with a lot of things.

how many gearboxes do you see for sale that say fully reconditioned only to find that 1 or 2 damaged parts have been replaced, and sometimes the bits there replaced with are secondhand:roll:
its all very misleading, they should be relabelled as repaired units not recon.

ashills

yeah theres no one thats gonna fully renew the internals on a gtir box lol the gears are about 200 each from nissan if not more, cheaper to buy quaife bits
u imagine a bill for 4k for a standard box to be rebuilt LOL

gtirjoey

ive got exactely he same problem myself with 360 rebuilt turbo(ot same company) basically i had my t28 rebuilt decided to go for 360 bearings! after a week of rebuild it was back off due to smoke, they tried blaiming my turbo feed but in the end rebuilt for me f o c. i probably done 3000 miles at most(with new oil feed pipe) when i found someone willing to part ex for a gt28r and cash there way!
I was well chuffed until i took my turbo off to find yet again a sh!t load of play, sent it back and now the same old ballsh!t. to be honest i think i have been ripped off meanwhile they have my turbo whilst the argument remains!