Turbo?? is it

PulsarTom

I bought a standard t28 turbo off of SADSY on the forum, he was so adament that the turbo was spot on, saying how engineers have looked at it and that. I put her on the car and have noticed shite loads of smoke when coming off boost, its worse than my old turbo, should have just kept my £140!! But anyway, i was wondering could this smoking be caused by anyhting apart from the turbo, as its doing exactly the same as my old unit??!! Wondering could there be anything else to cause this smoke?!

MORF114

maybe your rings are getting a bit worn do a compression test and the drop of oil test thingy majig.

PulsarTom

ah rite? well its a new engine i got off bobby, obv its second hand, its just so weird how its smoking worse than my old tubby when he said that the turbos fine, also bob said the engine was spot on when i bought it. lol dont know what to believe. if its the valve stem seals, are they a pain to do?

EVOBAD

do you have oil catch tank or somthing similar as i had a few problems wiuth smoke of boost few years back i changed the way pipe work went & blocked one of the hoses with a mini kn breater it smoked like hell, put it back & it was fine

PulsarTom

yeah i do have a catch can actually, i might remove it and put it back to standard. yeah could be, but the lad garaunteed it to be perfect.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Why did your last turbo smoke? You could have damaged the turbo yourself? I've damaged one in the past by simply having an odd bend in my turbo oil drain causing back pressure and almost instant turbo seal failure..

P

pulsarboby

hi tom
the engine was fine and tbh i dont think thats your problem here! it was compression tested before sale and checked over and all readings and oil pressures were very good, and you yourself saw there were no oily deposits around any of the exhaust ports on head which it would of had if the rings or ringlands had worn.

if its smoking off boost then that will point towards a turbo ie seal leaking oil into exhaust system! generally if the valve stem oil seals are leaking, then the engine will smoke its head off after being left for any amount of time as the oil will leak through and drip on top of piston or pistons.

but as rishi has just said, you may have a problem with an oil feed pipe going to the turbo or the return maybe kinked and prevent oil from returning back to sump in which case it can blow a turbo in no time at all.

but by all means if you dont believe me then carry out a compression test etc and see what you come up with, but if oil was being burnt from the engine this would have been very apparent when you removed the exhaust manifold as the exhaust port on the offending cylinder would have had a very oily residue all over it.

sadsy

Hi Tom, Cheers for the slander, good job your not a judge or id be swinging by now....

Right then, i sold you the turbo CHECKED, and it was fine on my car, with NO SMOKE, and certanly NO OIL LEAKS.
The only reason why i took the unit off my car was because id upgraded to a 3071 or wotever it is, hence i had a spare turbo, the unit was checked by myself 12 yrs in the motortrade, my dad, who has been self employed in the motortrade and has around 40yrs experience, and an additional garage with good trust worthy experience, just to make sure it was peachy.

My pops now sells car bits INCLUDING turbos just like bobby and megamodz, of a differant car make, and has Never sold a duff turbo unit as they have been checked this way before.

Cause of oil leaks.... i dont know, maybe you havent seated the copper washers properly, this happens, it happened to me when i fitted my other turbo, i built it all up, started it up and it pissed out oil n water, gutted, you know what i did? took it to bits, replaced the copper washers with some more NEW ones, fitted it up and it worked, no leaks, wonderful! and i do this regular to cars, do you?

As for the smoke, it did not smoke when it was on my car, I can probably say that most of the East yorkshire jap scene can vouch for me on that, and i have a rolling road vid from about 1 to 2 weeks before i took it off and there was no suspect smoke coming out of the exhaust. not proof i know, but it all helps

And, another thing, its a bit silly but, have you noticed just lately the weather is very cold, so when your car is running the warm exhaust gasses are hitting the cold air and it smokes like hell, mine smokes like hell, so is my turbo knackered, i paid 700 for mine S/H. so how can you determine whether its from the turbo seals or just the good old british weather.
As i said before, the turbo was healthy and had nothing wrong with it at all.

So before you piss on my name can you think about other factors, or buy new.

Cheers.

Last edited:

sadsy

The turbo's ****ed mate, it smokes worse than my old one and oil is pissing out of it!! a total waste of £140, my old turbo was actually in better condition

my guess is you just finished it, started it up and it leaks, so your pissed off and it all my fault.

P

pulsarboby

ah rite? well its a new engine i got off bobby, obv its second hand, its just so weird how its smoking worse than my old tubby when he said that the turbos fine, also bob said the engine was spot on when i bought it. lol dont know what to believe. if its the valve stem seals, are they a pain to do?

tom you cant go suggesting that either of us are lying, 'which is basically what you are doing by saying quote] 'i dont know what to believe'
you even phoned me and said how good the engine was, did you not?
i do not sell crap engines no more so than im sure sadsy would sell you a knowingly crap turbo.
you need to get it checked out before making accusations!

PulsarTom

Yeah i have now read all my previous posts and am very sorry for accusing people, i do believe both of you, it just got to me changing the engine and everything just for it to start smoking near enough straight away, by all means bob, your one of the most genuine blokes ive ever met and did not mean to cause you upset. Sadsy im also very very sorry for accusing you aswell, i just erupted and took it all out on you via pm! Sorry to bth of you guys, think i will be in hiding for a while now!