Turbo Inlet hard pipe Length

olliecast

hi all,
i`m currently making my z32 induction hose and due to the small dust-bin size of my new filter i`m only just going to be able to get the maf ~12 inches away from the turbo.

However, i could buy myself 2 or 3 inches if i could cut down the standard intake pipe that is bolted onto the turbo inlet.

Does anybody know if i`ll cause issues by cutting down this pipe, i.e. its the ~6inch length it is for a reason, or is it just to accomodate the standard turbo inlet pipe?

cheers in advance,
ollie

GTIR-LOZ

i think its just to get past the gearbox it will make no difference if you cut it down as long as you can still get your intake past the gearbox

turboloon

i don't think it matters cause when you see under the bonnets of cossies/supras etc you see the air filters bolted straight on to the inlets of the turbos..

GTi-R23

Yeah I've cut mine down with no issues, turbo doesn't know or care what's bolted on the end of it as long as it can suck lots of nice clean fresh air.

Animaldaz

iirc it can matter,im sure ive read about someone having trouble because of an intake pipe being too short,i could be wrong though.
And those cossies and supras with air filters bolted straight to the turbo arent running maf sensors so in that instance it wont matter.

There are some R owners running blow through set-ups too.

mattytappy

I think if im right it can cause problems as the air pressure from the turbo when changing gear can pulse quite alot and can cause strange readings on the maf...so there is a critical length for it to be away from the turbo...(ie) not to short or the maf right on the entrance to the turbo...... but ive cut my intake pipe down by at least half its standard length with out any probs....in fact it spools up alot quicker than before.;-)

Regards

Matty

P

pulsarboby

yep as above, if your running a standard maf setup then it will cause a prob if to close to turbo, you will either need to run a blowby system (as ive done) or do away with the maf and run a map sensor, but then you will need a supporting ecu i believe!

i would place the afm no closer than around 16'' to the tubby. any closer and it could cause a problem with monitoring airflow for the ecu, this i know for a fact as it happened to a member on here whos car we looked at as it had been fitted around 6'' away from tubby and would not run properly, but once we moved it all was fine!

olliecast

so hopefully i`ll get away with 12 inches from the tubby then. with my new filter, it`d be sticking out the wing if it went 16 inches away. I can probabily get about 13-14 inches with the s bend i`m doing.

fingers crossed!

I

iomegalinux

i did the z32 maf switch, i would also like to change the whole intake pipe to hard piping. what did you do with the vaccum and the oil vapour return ?

thank you

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Oil vapour return goes to a catch can, vacucum.... not sure what you mean as vaccum normally comes from the inlet manifold?

I

iomegalinux

i mean the second hose that connect on the intake oem pipe. seem to connect to the oem boost relay... not sure ..

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That "vacuum" line is just the bleed port from the standard solenoid; I'm not sure why, but by default it bleeds the boost back in there instead of to atmosphere. - Possibly it's to stop shite getting sucked in when you're under vacuum.

I

iomegalinux

Pobody was right, that's the one on the intake pipe (between maf and turbo) it's a 4mm air (vaccum or pressure) hose.