Turbo elbow, mod worth doing?

bobby tune

seemingly u need an elbo just a little bit bigger than the blades and wastegate for better spooling. im goin to make 1 the size he thinks and a 3 inch and put both on the rollers to see wots best proof will be in the pudin.. he recons u shouldnt belive every thing u read cos every body recons bigger the beter as i said goin to give it a try as wont cost much

mohsan

2871r turbo will be happening soon, so a elbow to match that would be good.
Now 2.5 makes sense but 3 inch so say better but then not better if you have a goose system that is 2.5!
Thats where we got to so far lol.
I want to get my car tip top mapped up and want to do anuything thats worth doing before i do. So if I have to get a elbow and down pipe in one, so be it. Otherwise Mark turbo where did you make get the elbow from? cant find anyone to fabricate me one! Some one sell me one please lol

williams

seemingly u need an elbo just a little bit bigger than the blades and wastegate for better spooling. im goin to make 1 the size he thinks and a 3 inch and put both on the rollers to see wots best proof will be in the pudin.. he recons u shouldnt belive every thing u read cos every body recons bigger the beter as i said goin to give it a try as wont cost much
whe you do a 3" test are you going to fit it to a 3" system? otherwise your going to have a 0.5" step. i havent read that in magazines, read it in various books. also, 3" pipe can be make to fit the exhaust flange perfect without any cutting or welding, a 2.5" you will need to cut and weld extra pipe to as the circumference is smaller than that of the turbo exhaust flange.

i wouldnt go too big on the manifold pipe dia as keeping the gasses speed high in the manifold will help the turbo spool quicker, but after the turbo you dont want any resistance.

its not like an NA engine when you need to keep gas speed up to pull the gasses through quicker, you just want rid as quick as possible.

williams

I would just go to a good fabricators. Exhaust builders charge more imo. Can good just as good if not better from a good fabricator. Except you'll need to show them exactly what you want made as they probably won't know what an elbow is.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
And can everyone please write in English, I'm having to get my brother to translate some of these posts for me.
Mine lives in Australia so that's no help or I'd do the same. :doh:

I don't really care if it's not the best possible elbow if it's 2.5" as long as it's better than the standard one (and it would have to be given the way that's all pinched). I'm also not sure how much difference things like steps in the size actually make; it's a gas not a liquid. There will be a certain amount of turbidity, but ultimately it's always going to move from the high-pressure after turbo to the low pressure where it goes to atmosphere. - That's not meant to be a personal attack on anyone, but sometimes the conventional wisdom has no basis in scientific facts.

fast eddy

My guy will be finishing his jig this week to be able to produce elbows in 2.5" or 3" versions. Watch this space.

Eddy

Perrin21

My guy will be finishing his jig this week to be able to produce elbows in 2.5" or 3" versions. Watch this space.

Eddy
ok i might be interested,i have a standard turbo and mongoose exhaust. im guessing thats 2.5in. would the elbow make a big difference then? my car is currently running standard boost at 250 BHP. How much will they be?

skiddusmarkus

A new elbow would struggle not to make any extra power, the standard one is so bad.When I had the 3" Janspeed elbow/downpipe fitted it increased the boost by around 3psi so basicly reduced backpressure by 3psi.That's a fair amount of power.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I was convinced the first time I looked up into the standard elbow. It looks like they got a piece of pipe, pinched it at the back, then bent it; just making it a single curve would make a world of difference.

mohsan

Ive got a goose system also, and got a 2871r turbo going on. So Itake it i will need the 2.5 turbo elbow? How long and how much? Im ready

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
For a 2871, IMO you are better off going 3" from turbo to tip and be done.

@Perrin21

Mark,

A lot of the North West owners have used these people for either a full system or a quieter back box:

I think I was the first to try them and prices will have changed over the years:

Here was my experience:

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?44350-New-Custom-exhaust-fitted&highlight=exhaust

The 377hp was mapped by someone else who I never used again as the map was too conservative and shoddy. After that I decided to do it all myslef and never looked back.

400hp is probably achievable on a 2.5" system but the OEM elbow is a restriction to turbo response and mid range torque.

Pipeworx are in Burscough and they've done enough GtiR's to quote over the phone. Say that you saw them on the OC and try to haggle a discount. A few of us have put enough business there way with back boxes and front pipes over the years.

Spikey

I have been looking into making the Elbows.. I have the Jig but just can not bend as tight with what i have available. But i could make and elbow that runs into the goose front pipe. i made my own for my pulsar, but that's facing the other way for a better flow. ill get pics up later.

williams

You can buy the flanges off ebay$ I think to make a bend that tight you will need to weld it in sections rather than 1 bend. That's why I think your best getting at least elbow and down pipe so you can't have a bigger radius off the turbo. As it is the gasses are doing something like a 120 degree turn.

Spikey

its 110 actually lol. But yes i have made one for my own car but its a reversal one. I have stainless steel bends here in stock. 2.5 and 3" also a prepared flange. Just need someone that wants me to make one ;)

iomegalinux

Last edited: