Turbo choice advice needed!

Dragmera

OK, as may may know I am considering purchasing a new turbocharger after being advised that this would be the best route to go down if I want more power (which I do...LOL).

I currently have a GT2860RS(disco potato) with the smaller 0.64 AR housing for quicker spool, but looking at my results from last week, it appears that I may have reached the limit on this turbo.

361 HP @ 14 psi
374.5 HP @ 20 psi

The issue I have is clearance, since I am limited for space between the engine & radiator.

I believe that the GT2871R is identical in size to the DP externally...is this true?

If it is true, what is the maximum HP (crank) that I could pull from this turbo while still retaining the same diamensions as the DP?

Cheers

Dave

P.S. I will be purchasing a 7 psi actuator to help with the traction issues in the lower gears.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Well i think with the GT28 turbine and 0.64A/R you'll find that combined with the 71mm Compressor Wheel that you'll get about 400bhp... 420bhp maybe...

Why not just have a custom manifold made up and then fit a larger turbo to a location with more room...

GT3040R with your SR20 and some serious Drag Slicks...

Rishi

T

tro||

i'd chuck a 3071 on it, the 2871 has never performerd that well on the gtirs i've seen fitted with it,

3071 would kick **** on your car

T

tro||

just remembered his car aint a gtir, but it would still be my first choice

T

tro||

RishiGTiR said:
Well i think with the GT28 turbine and 0.64A/R you'll find that combined with the 71mm Compressor Wheel that you'll get about 400bhp... 420bhp maybe...
never in 1million billion years, the 3071 with the small housing will just about get those figures, the gt2871 on that housing would be very,very hard pushed to see over 400bhp, if it even manages it, unless your an american, then you'd probably see 400whp..lol

kevgti-r

my 2871r made 290atw at 1.4 bar and i was left with a smokey gtir :doh:

going to fit it to the black one in a few weeks so ill see what whp it gets then :thumbsup:

A

a11ova

im going down the 3071 route at 1.4/1.5 bar route. hoping to see around 400bhp with mine. Speak to someone like ashills, he's sortin me out with mine :)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
tro|| said:
never in 1million billion years, the 3071 with the small housing will just about get those figures, the gt2871 on that housing would be very,very hard pushed to see over 400bhp, if it even manages it, unless your an american, then you'd probably see 400whp..lol

I did think GT3071R but then i never seem to like sensible choices... :doh:

GT2871R in theory should be able to hit 400bhp but you're right it probably would never see that... I'm sure someone managed it though... :?

Rishi

GTiR_Mic

Dave get the 3071R same as I have on mine. You where out in it with Ryan when he was setting up the fueling.

I got mine from ATP in the staes, cost just under £900 inc tax & duty.

Mic

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
GTiR_Mic said:
I got mine from ATP in the staes, cost just under £900 inc tax & duty.

Mic

What kind of modification was needed to fit the ATP turbo, as I’ve noticed a few people mention they had to modify them when installing one?

O

Odin

fubar Andy said:
What kind of modification was needed to fit the ATP turbo, as I’ve noticed a few people mention they had to modify them when installing one?

You will need to spin the housing's around around to suit the gti-r application and get a new actuator bracket made, Unless you are going to use an different manifold and external waste gate ;-) .......

Oil return pipe will need the bolt holes making a little bigger to suit the new turbo, Apart from that its a straight fit the oil/water lines should bolt right up again with out problem.., Unless you are using a different manifold that puts the turbo out of position ;-)

Rob

T

tro||

3076 spools quite progressively, on a gtir it doesn't obviously have that wham bam thank you mam spool up of the 3071 with small exh housing, although its not laggy at all and may be a better choice for traction as it goes.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I was thinking on the lines it's a bigger turbo so will boost later, so when it does hit boost, those front wheels are going to struggle for grip with all that extra power;-)
(Let's face it, it's big enough to move Rob fast:lol: )

stumo

Fast Guy said:
I was thinking on the lines it's a bigger turbo so will boost later, so when it does hit boost, those front wheels are going to struggle for grip with all that extra power;-)
when?:doh: deffo not round knockhill! :der:

ashills

2871 will do 400 pushed very very hard i have a dyno sheet somewhere showing my old car at 390 at 1.3-4 bar built engine with flowed head throttle bodies etc
dont think bhp would have risen much after that but torque should have showed a healthy increase

T

tro||

Fast Guy said:
alot of the fwd sr20 guys swear by having bigger turbos, slightly more lag actually helps them get traction as the car is moving fairly well before the turbo spools fully.

make sense ?