Turbo bearing cage fail

MarkTurbo

Let me guess, garrett gt series turbo?

Mine did the same thing, the plastic cages aren't fit for use in a road car let alone anything that gets driven a bit harder!

whytie

Thanks for the advice red.

i have a brand new 3071r with bearing cage conversion and in line filter here to replace it.

The turbo that failed was a md214 turbo dynamics. I'll prob get it rebuilt for a spare, do they do the bronze cage conversion?

Last edited:

red reading

Yes, I won't fit a turbo with out them, there is a rumour that the later garrett turbos have them as standard but I am yet to see it proven.

whytie

I found all those bits in my oil return line, fingers crossed it hasn't done any damage to my engine

red reading

Pull the steel sump pan off and clean it out and clean the oil pump pick up gauze as well as it will be in there along with the ball bearings.

grim_d

Yes, I won't fit a turbo with out them, there is a rumour that the later garrett turbos have them as standard but I am yet to see it proven.
Good news for me then. ;-)

Doesn't seem to have cropped up on here for a while but still shocking that they make plastic cages, just like everyone else though trying to push their luck making things out of plastic.

Fingers crossed Davie nothing has found it's way too deep into your engine.

MarkTurbo

I still keep meaning to email garrett with the pictures of when i stripped mine and see what rubbish or comedy excuse they come up with :lol:

This was some of the bits of mine, luckily it all stayed in the sump.

IMAG0502-1.jpg