Tubular manifolds, fitting & options

K

keiichi

THe 'SR20DET' tubular manifolds are plentyfull all over ebay as are Scooby ones and the like - I've only seen one or two BNN14 style variants - of which one 'did not need any modding...' I assume that most sold are simply standard 200sx types.

Has anyone bought an ebay job or can recomend another source of one? - £100-£300 sound about right?

Also what should be considered when swapping from the standard cast item, what gaskets will I need, special tools & I assum the slam panel, FMIC, Rad etc will have to be removed to gain access to do the job - any other tips appreciated on this!!

Also whilst I'm doing this I'm going to heatwrap as much as possible the downpipe & manifold. Any advice on this or pics of this job (in progress shots appreciated)

Thanks

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
Best to get all the gaskets for the turbo, manifold etc. Ring Apex Performance and ask for a set of gaskets for the S14 (don't even mention the word Pulsar or GTiR to them or they panic and want to get you off the phone asap :doh:) and for £99 you'll get all you need. :)

As for bits to take off, slam panel can stay, as can the front mount itself (I assume thats what you have) but the rad + fans have to come out, disconnect the downpipe from the dump pipe, and all the intake side to the turbo (filter etc) then unbolt and lift out.

Hope that helps a bit:)

Cheers,

donpulsar

K

keiichi

donpulsar said:
Best to get all the gaskets for the turbo, manifold etc. Ring Apex Performance and ask for a set of gaskets for the S14 (don't even mention the word Pulsar or GTiR to them or they panic and want to get you off the phone asap :doh:) and for £99 you'll get all you need. :)

As for bits to take off, slam panel can stay, as can the front mount itself (I assume thats what you have) but the rad + fans have to come out, disconnect the downpipe from the dump pipe, and all the intake side to the turbo (filter etc) then unbolt and lift out.

Hope that helps a bit:)

Cheers,

donpulsar
Thanks mate, is there a FAQ for removing the turbo/downpipe?

I'll call Apex - I wonder if it's worth considering another turbo at the same time (as its all going to be off anyway) THe tubro does not smoke but I suppose anything more and I would be overstressing the stock bottom end... hmmmmm not sure yet. Replacement turbo would be circa £500-£700 - how much is a recon T28 for the GTI-R?
Worth doing at the same time??!

EVOBAD

if buying manifold make sure u get pulsar one & not the sr20det 200sx one as u will hav uprate your turbo elbow 2 fit downpipe hav alook in the group buys on this forum they seem 2 of had a few good coments on the manifolds they hav sold

K

keiichi

EVOBAD said:
if buying manifold make sure u get pulsar one & not the sr20det 200sx one as u will hav uprate your turbo elbow 2 fit downpipe hav alook in the group buys on this forum they seem 2 of had a few good coments on the manifolds they hav sold
Will do - so I should not have to change the turbo elbow if I get a BNN14 one then?

O

Odin

keiichi said:
Will do - so I should not have to change the turbo elbow if I get a BNN14 one then?

Well if you make that an RNN14 one then no :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .......

Rob

K

keiichi

EVOBAD said:
CAN a standard 200sx one be used instead - I need the turbo elbow too?

O

Odin

keiichi said:
CAN a standard 200sx one be used instead - I need the turbo elbow too?

Yes but you'd need to cut the flange that the turbo bolts to off and re weld it on at a different angle, Plus the down pipe will be a pain in the ar5e to have re made...

And I think that the passesnger side rad fan might need removing as well...

Rob

K

keiichi

Thunder God said:
Yes but you'd need to cut the flange that the turbo bolts to off and re weld it on at a different angle, Plus the down pipe will be a pain in the ar5e to have re made...

And I think that the passesnger side rad fan might need removing as well...

Rob
Sure, so the GB you've got - see there is a couple with cracked ones TBH thats putting me off now

O

Odin

keiichi said:
Sure, so the GB you've got - see there is a couple with cracked ones TBH thats putting me off now

I wasn't saying you should be buying that one, Just that the 200sx one's are no real use....

Rob