Trouble starting the car (Fixed)

hmmm

Car didn't start first time after changing spark plugs. :(

Would the code 1,2 (AFM) cause starting problems?

antgtir

Re: ...

hmmm said:
Car didn't start first time after changing spark plugs. :(

Would the code 1,2 (AFM) cause starting problems?
If the AFM is not working correctly the mixture will be shot so the car will find it very hard to start if at all.

Its like for example trying to start a car with 100% air, just doesn't work. The mixture will not be set right, sort the AFM and you will probably find that you will solve the starting problem.

Goodluck,

Ant. :wink:

hmmm

Managed to locate a second hand AFM. It should be delivered within the next few days. Hopefully it will sort the problem.

Thanks for your input.

monsterGTi-R

Make sure the connector on the AFM isnt loose. When I changed my fuel filter I knocked that connector and got that fault code, put it back properly and checked the fault code again after resetting it and hey presto :D :wink:

antgtir

Also do a search on the AFM as i know the R has a common problem with the earth for this, may be partly responsible.

Ant. :wink:

hmmm

I was looking through the fuses today and noticed that the Starter Motor fuse was blown :roll:. I replaced this and it looks like the car is starting fine now. I am going to wait and see if it starts first time in the morning from cold.

I done the Fault Code Check again and now I am getting the code 5,5. This was re-checked after taking the car for a 15 minute drive and the code was still 5,5. :?

hmmm

Car started perfectly this morning. Looks like problem sorted. :D

I will still be replacing the AFM with a known working one for peace of mind.

Thanks for your help.

antgtir

I was talking to a tuner the other day and he said that the fuel pump is a common fault or the earth on the fuel pump is which causes the pump to not work properly i.e. the voltage drops through it, this may be something i will look into for the future.

I know a few people on this forum have gone throught this before so i will do a search i think. :D

Ant.