Track days

What are everyone's experiences on track days? Is it ok track pulsars every now and then or will the gearbox not last the ordeal?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Can't say I've done many, but the only problem I've had is my radiator hose splitting... then my windscreen cracked.

I'm probably not making much more power than standard, so not really stressing the box all that much.

Jon Olds

If I tarmac rally one, then that's like a concentrated track day. Mine has a quaife box in, but still, drive it sympathetically and it should be ok. Make sure your brakes are sorted first, as they will get very hot
Jon

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Is it ok track pulsars every now and then or will the gearbox not last the ordeal?
You can track any car, it really depends on how well maintained it is, how hard you drive it, for how long and the condition on the current parts.

In the 7+ years I've tracked mine, I've replaced, upgraded, modified and removed numerous parts.

When I did my 1st track day at Donington Park, I had already changed the suspension to coilovers and added 4 pot brakes.

Main issues was oil temps (150oC+), brakes fading and exhaust being too loud...oh and my gearbox bearings collapsed!

After all those items were fixed (apart from the exhaust) it was reliable at 300bhp.

So depending on your power output, brakes, suspension, gearbox and how hard you drive you should be fine!

Just give it a once over before you go, drive around in it for a few days to make sure nothing pop's before you go and you should be 50/50!

Jon Olds

Brake fluid, 1st thing. Some proper brake pads and some air ducted in there. Oil temps would worry me, as a 60 degree increase above water temp doesn't sound right (assumes the heat exchanger is still in there) If its oil to air you need a bigger cooler or more air. Make sure the oil level is correct, as its a vicious circle low oil level mean less oil to carry the heat away
Jon

warpspeed

Did 170miles at Mallory in one day a few years ago with the only issue being oil forced past the pass driveshaft seal so needed to top the gearbox up occasionally, was a rebuilt box with new seals so can only put it down to using slicks.
Car was amazing though, 1 bar boost and reasonable brakes, ended up driving round the outside of a Megane R26R driven by a Renault test driver at Gerrards..:smilingimp: