tps and idle

nismoboy

will moving the throttle position sensor affect idle? as i know my tps has been disturbed during the rebuild and i have a spare plenum and throttle bodies and the tps on that one is in a different place. Could this be the cause of my high idle? thanks.

A

AJ4

yes, the ecu measures the position of the tps to decide if the engine should be on the map or idle control circuit. Would have to be a good bit out though...

Have a look in the manual, it tells you what voltages it should be at closed and wot so you can adjust it.

nismoboy

AJ4 said:
yes, the ecu measures the position of the tps to decide if the engine should be on the map or idle control circuit. Would have to be a good bit out though...

Have a look in the manual, it tells you what voltages it should be at closed and wot so you can adjust it.
dont have a manual can u tell me what the voltage should be at closed throttle? and how do i measure it? thanks.

Nigell_d6

Hi,

The voltages for the Throttle sensor are as follows:

Ignition switch on but engine not running:-

Throttle valve fully closed 0.45v - 0.55v
Throttle valve fully open 4.0v approx

if outside these ranges check the Harness and obviously throttle sensor.

When the output signal from the throttle sensor is incorrect the ECU ignores it and works just on the fuel injected and engine RPM.

Testing:
Disconnect Throttle sensor connector, turn ignition on, check voltage between terminal c, (right side) and ground, should be 5v. Turn ignition off and test continuity on terminal a, (left side).

Now if you haven't got a consult, disconnect ECU harness and test continuity between terminal 20 and the centre of the throttle sensor connector b. If all the above is ok then the wiring is good.

Now the throttle sensor:
test resistance between a & b terminals of the sensor harness and make sure it changes when opening the throttle sensor harness manually, what you should get is as follows,
Accelerator pedal completely released - Aprox 2Kohms
Partially released - 2-11 Kohms
Completely Depressed - Aprox 11Kohms

To adjust the throttle sensor to bring back into spec warm engine up to operating temp, measure output voltage and rotate sensor till you get 0.45v - 0.55v, tighten bolts. Disconnect sensor for a few minutes then reconect and all should be well.

If you got a consult read straight from their in in work support mode,

Regards
Nigel

nismoboy

ive tested my tps i did this by using a multi meter on the red and white cable (5v) and the white cable(signal) and it reads

4.1v closed

1.15v with accellerator pedal to the floor

i also tested a spare set of throttle bodies which have a tps on them and they read

4.62v closed

0.88v with throttle fully open

:?

Nigell_d6

Hi,

Just tested mine as promised,

With CONSULT - 0.44v fully open, / 4.14v pedal to the floor, closed, within spec

With multimeter, red & white cables

Fully open, pedal at top - 4.4v / pedal to the floor, closed 0.09v

anybody else fancy testing theirs then we can see what the average is, only takes a couple of minutes, treat it like a survey,
Regards

Nigel