towing a pulsar

scott b

with a GTiR being 4 wheel drive would you guys recomend towing it on an A frame or opt for using a car trailer

cheers

Gray

trailer is best
but always make sure all four wheels are on the ground
never hanve back or front wheels off the ground

P

pulsarboby

got to be a trailer, never 2 wheels front or back on the deck, or you will do it in for sure

bracpan

A frames are not legal apart from recovering a vehicle. Its all to do with the weight as its not legal to tow a trailer etc over 750kgs without brakes on it.
Cheers
Phil
PS never tow a 4 wheel drive with 2 wheels off the ground.

oldaneal

when i needed to move mine i took the propshaft off and towed it like that its only 4 bolts on each end and 4 holding it on all seems fine after and easier than a trailer

antgtir

As far as i know the rear diff is not pressurised and so wouldn't matter if the engine was running or not and so can be towed.

However my confusion comes when the front Transfer Box is in question, i know with the auto boxes on the older generation vehicles they had torque converters which were belt driven and so if the engine wasn't running, the belt wasn't turning and so the converter would be damaged in the tow.

Im not aware apart from any pressure build up due to heat, of the front Transfer Box being a pressurised system and so in my mind it wouldn't matter whether the engine was running or not and so with the engine basically free wheeling in tow the system would act as if the engine was the primary drive not the tow vehicle.

I wouldn't mind a definitive answer on this as it is obviously something a few of us have questioned or taken as being read that the R cannot be towed but is this just a mith passed on or is there some engineering reason behind it??:doh:

Anybody any other thoughts??

Ant.

paz

I've read an answer on this before. I think[i/] it came from the owners handbook but don't quote me on that :lol: You CAN tow it on all 4 wheels, but only upto a certain recommended speed - 55kph or something similar.

Besides that, common sense says that the car has a towing eye, so you must be able to tow it.

Paz

scott b

just spoke to a mechanic at nissan

' cant see why it cant be towed as long as ALL 4 wheels are turning'

MINESGTIR

I guarantee you can tow

im living proof.
mine has twice broke down in bournemouth (once was water pump) (once was one of the belts)

ive been towed twice for about 10 miles each time.

all four wheels where on the floor.

i had the ignition lights on (for the sterring) but engine off.

maximum we did was 50mph on the dual carriage way.

NO DAMAGE WHAT SO EVER .

only scary thing is the brakes have no power to them so i was using the handbrake to slow down. do it slowly and you wil lhave no issues.

HOPE THIS CLEARS UP THIS CONFUSION !!!
:thumbsup:

gtir bean

its just like lifting off and freewheeling so if you can do that at 150mph there is no reason why you cant tow it with 4 wheels on the ground.i have done it a couple of times.