Too loud

oddrey

Bought a R last week and after driving it home for 17 hours to Norway i realise its too loud, what can i do to silence it without losing any power. I has 3" Exhaust from turbo, is it availble any silencer who want mess with the flow. I have tried a race cat instead of the decatpipe on a s14 i owned but didnt silence it down so it dont think this will help on my R either. any suggestions?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Start looking for some back boxes? - Yes, you can silence it without losing too power, but I'd guess it will require a custom exhaust system.

skiddusmarkus

I too am looking for something to silence my mongoose down.The noise is awful at steady speeds and ridiculous when starting up.Anyone managed to fit an extra silencer into theirs?I'd prefer something thats just a straight segment swap so I don't have to chop mine up.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Campbellju's is the best one I've seen; I'm pretty sure it's 3" from the turbo all the way back, but you'd never believe it because it's so quiet. - I'm pretty sure he had to have it made-up.

I have the one which I think was on his car when it came from Japan; that's 2.5" from the elbow back with two exits, and I'd guess it's not what you need.

vpulsar

What silencer or system did you have?
My system was custom made by AAS in Newcastle, Was 3" all the way through with two boxes.

As it happens it is back up for sale because I sold the whole system to Bruce who is now also breaking his car, It has been modified to suit the standard turbo position I believe.

John

oddrey

My system was custom made by AAS in Newcastle, Was 3" all the way through with two boxes.

As it happens it is back up for sale because I sold the whole system to Bruce who is now also breaking his car, It has been modified to suit the standard turbo position I believe.

John
Thats looks like a good solution. Whats the nick name to the fellow whos breaking up his car?

skiddusmarkus

I've been in touch with Ascar in Sheffield and they've quoted me £100 to fit an extra silencer into my mongoose cat back.I am having my 3" downpipe fitted atm, so expecting the mongaloidoose to get get even noisier so planning ahead before I get an asbo, go deaf or both.It might cost me a bit of power but heyho.

stevie leese

how big is the tail pipe? when i brought my first r it had a back pipe on it that was huge and so loud it it sounded stupid. by chance i found a peice of 4 inch tube and pushed it into the tail pipe and it was amaising how much it lowered the noise and tone. i welded it in and was happy from then on. just a thought. steve.

MrMischief

If the Mongoose system is too loud for you try replacing the standard "silenced" 3 inch tailpipe for a 4 inch unsilenced pipe - I did this as I preferred the look of an unsilenced pipe & the car became much quieter on tickover & acceleration.

I think that with the baffle of the silenced section being so close to the exit, the flow of the gas is not smooth & creates noise.

The only option for the custom 3 inch system is to custom fit a silencer - or replace the whole system.

If you can place the additional silencer close to the original catalyst position, it may help to increase back pressure & possibly increase torque ;)

skiddusmarkus

I have the smaller tailpipe, irt was the only one avilable when I bought it about 9 years ago.

Why would more back pressure increase torque?

Spikey

I have the 5 Ziegen and i think its sounds ok. It does scream like a Bitch on full boost but just cruising its ok. Unless i have just got used to it ;)