timming question

NU773R

before anyone says do i search, i have and couldnt find want i need to know

i know there a 6 timming marks on the bottom pully that go from -5 upto 20, now my question is what mark relate to what number, i mean if you stand at the side of the engine bay looking at the marks, from left(back of engine) to right(front of engine) what mark is -5 and what mark is 20?

i'm alittle confused about what mark is what degree,

if i dont make sence tell me and i will try to explain abit better :doh:

STU4X4

I THOUGHT IT WAS THE OTHER WAY ROUND, SURE I READ A HOW TO ON ONE OF THE FORUMS AND IT WAS THE +20 MARK AT THE BACK OF THE PULLEY?:der:

STU4X4

Now I Am Confused, Im Sure I Read It The Other Way On The Gtir Forum, And Someone Even Put A Pic Up Of The Pulley And Indicated The Marks??? Im Gonna Have To Re Check That Ive Done The Timing Right Now

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
STU4X4 said:
Now I Am Confused, Im Sure I Read It The Other Way On The Gtir Forum, And Someone Even Put A Pic Up Of The Pulley And Indicated The Marks??? Im Gonna Have To Re Check That Ive Done The Timing Right Now
This is the "GTIR Forum" :der:

Take it from me Stu, that the illustration is correct.

Steve

why are all the words in you post above preceded with a capital letter, that must actually be quite hard to do :lol:

davey red.r

agree steve, my fingers would be crippled with arthritis, the amount of times the caps lock must of been hit,:lol:

Bart GTI-R

No wonder it took me ages to sort my timing out, Im sure I read that too STU4x4 on here somewhere, So yep that diagram is correct.

P

pulsarboby

if you think about it its obvious that tdc is 2nd from left as the engine turns clockwise!
if it were the case and marks were from otherside then what would be the point of haveing upto 20 degrees atdc!

its the btdc marks that count on timing not the ones after!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Fast Guy said:
I think you mean +5 (it's Atdc) and -20 (its Btdc);-)
Well spotted, go to the head of the class, just testing those that should know are still awake ;-) :lol:

STU4X4

I WASNT DOUBTING YOU AT ALL STEVE, IT WAS MY BAD SORRY.:doh:

IVE MARKED TDC ON THE PULLEY WHEN I DID THE ENGINE REBUILD AND THEN CHECKED THE IGNITION TIMING BUT MY TIMING LIGHT HAS A FUNCTION TO SET ADVANCE AND RETARD ON IT. IM GLAD SOMEONE ELSE HAS SEEN THE POST THAT SAYS THE OTHER WAY THOUGH.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY IT DOES THAT WITH THE CAPITAL LETTERS, TRUST ME MY SAUSAGE FINGERS CANT WORK A KEYBOARD QUICK ENOUGH TO BE HITTING THE CAPS BUTTON ALL THE TIME:lol: , IT ONLY SEEMS TO DO IT WHEN I POST FROM WORK THOUGH!! OOPS HOPE NOBODY AT WORK READS THIS NOW!:lol:

P

pulsarboby

if you have advance on your strobe then just set it at 20 degrees and turn dizzy till pointer and tdc mark are aligned.
if you cant get them to line up without turning dizzy untill off the slots then your obviously a tooth out with engine timing!