time for a new turbo

GTIR-LOZ

right i know this has been covered before but i dont understand it all - still

my turbo has a play in the shaft, so i guess i need a new one :( the question is what??

do i go for another standard second hand unit from here
do i go for super hybrid jobbie from norris
do i go for hks gtrs thingy from takakaira

which one will be the best for me, as i dont have forged pistons and have no boost or fuel comps, just uprated pump and dawes device and uprated clutch obviously :lol: oh and i still have the air con, does that matter or not??

ideally id love a hks one, but they cost a bit and the forged piston thing worries me alot, as does any modifications to stuff, also id like a low lag turbo, does the hks have the same lag as the oem or is it alot worse

as i said before really dont have much of a clue on the is and outs of turbos so please dont quote compressor sizes and guff cos i just wont understand it - keep it simple boys (and girl/s)

GINGA

what are your future plans :?: eg full engine rebuild etc or basically standard 1 bar car etc
this will determine your decision on what turbo to go for alot :wink:

GTIR-LOZ

i dont want to go to mad really, no big power just i supose ultimately 350 ish max, but you know how it is you get there then think, well its a bit slow now, lets tweak it a bit more lol

would i need forged pistons for 350bhp max? and which of the turbos can deliver that

GINGA

The nd super hybrid would probably suit your needs well, with cams, intercooler, some form of fuel controller unichip or power fc would be good value choices and around 1.2-1.3bar boost could see you to 350bhp and you may be all right on standard pistons and you may not its a risk and the more effort you put into getting the fuelling timing and cooling setup prefectly the more chances you've got of it lasting :wink:

skiddusmarkus

Standard turbo will be lucky to produce 350bhp reliably.You can run a better turbo at the same boost and have the benefits of things like less lag from roller bearings and cooler inlet temps from bigger compressors/turbines.You'll gain power just from that.
It will also give you the added benefit that if you decide to go for more power in the future,you alreadfy have one of the necessary components.

GTIR-LOZ

whoops i have a front mount as well, forgot about that :oops: , so whats the nd duper hybrid rated to?? i was looking at prices and the nd is about 900 quid from the uk, but from japan the hks is not listed on takakaria but others for the sr20det are listed as about 1100gbp, so would it be worth the extra 200 quid, or is the super hybrid more than i need?

i understand the basics of turbos, but not when it comes to matching blade sizes up, and why cant you just have a massive compressor wheel and a small exhaust wheel :?: :oops:

GINGA

the nd is rated at 370bhp and has no more lag than the standard turbo, the hks gtrs is rated at 400bhp but isn't quite a direct fit and needs minor alterations to the pipework etc though given the choice I'd go for the gtrs :wink:
but with the gtrs you've got shipping costs ontop of that to :(
Turbo dynamics do a large range of turbo's for the R to that are worth looking into, might be a good idea to give them a ring aswell as other respected R tuners and see what they reccomend :wink:
Personally if I was looking for 350 max i'd look for something along the lines of the nd super hybrid but with a roller bearing core which i suppose is the gtrs :?:

GTIR-LOZ

ooo yeah i forgot about shipping costs, i did try to look on the turbo dynamics site but it wouldnt come up with specs or pictures of them, so i supose ill give em a ring, so ho come the nd hasnt got a roller bearing then, does this mean its going to be less durable than others with a roller bearing in them

GINGA

don't think so :?: just that the roller bearing core will give better spool up :wink: though i think the roller bearing is supposed to be more reliable at high boost as it has a better thrust loading or something :?

zia

for £200 difference i,d go for roller bearing it be false economy to buy something that might not keep up, if you do decide to upgrade in the future, have you looked at garret t28 roller bearing turbos? places like checker give qoute with delivery price included.

zia

GTIR-LOZ

had a quick look on checker but i couldnt see a big turbo list just one or two, do they ahve another section then or do i have to email them?? would nd be able to put a roller bearing into their super hybrid or will that send the price up alot??

zia

yeah you have to email checker for turbo price i got good quote on 3037 inc delivery.putting roller bearing on the norris would defintely push the price up :shock:

zia

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
NEWS FLASH

Turbo Dynamics supply all Norris Designs turbo's

Buy direct from Turbo Dynamics at nearly half the price.

P.S. The nd super hybrid does have a roller bearing core.

GTIR-LOZ

really, ahaha maybe ill contact turbo dynamics then, and on the nd website it syas the super hybrid uses a taper bearing not a roller one

JU5TY

No thats the ND Super Hybrid that is £855, the ND Hyper Turbo that Steve is talking about is £1759...

:D