This Turbo Ok?

Matt Evans

I see. Thats ok, I've already cut the end of the FMIC pipe and re-attached it with a rubber join, so I can rotate it it to what angle I need.

Thanks fo reply. :)

Matt Evans

Dammit! Price of turbo from FRsport, with shipping is £580. But when I add the BULLSH*T custom charge, its more like £750! What a crock!!!

Matt Evans

Hi Nismoboy. You suggested the .86 A/R, but on the Owen developments site, it says that the .64 has better low end performance. Not sure which to go for. :S

nismoboy

Matt Evans said:
Hi Nismoboy. You suggested the .86 A/R, but on the Owen developments site, it says that the .64 has better low end performance. Not sure which to go for. :S
a .64 will spool quicker but power will die off around 5,000rpm, trust me on this one and go with the .86 turbine housing.

Matt Evans

Ok dude. I'll go for the .86 one. Just one more thing... the comp. housing. Do I go for the normal disco potato one, or the standard t28 style one, with the triangular flange?

Braveheart

Matt Evans said:
Ok dude. I'll go for the .86 one. Just one more thing... the comp. housing. Do I go for the normal disco potato one, or the standard t28 style one, with the triangular flange?
I have the GT2871R .86 a/r with a 3" inlet compressor housing.
Sure it will perform better than fitting the OE style compressor housing but the 3" inlet hits the block. I had to grind 4mm off the block, rotate to turbo as much as I could at the turbo / exhaust flange and fit 4 exhaust manifold gaskets.
Also, as zenwahwong56 has mentioned because the compressor housing is larger, you will have to modify or buy a different actuator bracket and the oil return flange needs a little bit of moding too.
Then you have to IC plumbing and air intake stuff to marry up.

Adam L

Just as a note, the reason your rebuilt turbo is still smoking is because something was worn, and you've either used standard sized bearings on a shaft that needed regrinding, the staggered gap ring on the shaft needed machining for an oversized one, your bearing housing required honing for os bearings or your collars /backplate were too badly worn to be used again. You won't notice any of the above unless you know what you're looking for.

I've told this to so many people that have tried to rebuild their own turbos with the same results you've ended up with.

Matt Evans

Hi Adam. Probably all of the above, mate. :) It spools fine and the car performs fine with, but obviously I screwed something up, hence the smoke. I checked the comp. wheel for play the other day, and there is quite a bit of play there.

I guess I'll just have to put it up for sale as spares or repair.

Unless someone wants a nice puff of smoke when they change gear? It could be a new craze! lol :D