This Turbo Ok?

Matt Evans

I've recently rebuilt my Turbo Technics stage one turbo with new seals bearings etc. But for some reason its now puffing blue smoke out after I lay off the throttle then put my foot down again.

The turbo spools fine, pulls fine, and is generally great, with no weird noises or anything, but I can't put up with it puffing smoke all time.

I really can't be bothered stripping the turbo again, plus I'm in the middle of reshelling my car, so I was thinking of buying one of these from FRSport.com.

Garrett GT2860RS/GT28RS (Disco Potato) Ball Bearing Turbo T25/T28 -28R

$1,065

Product Description

This is a Dual Ball Bearing GT28RS Turbo with optional turbine inlet and outlet style and size for easy customized turbo settings. Turbo is great for small displacement up to 2.2L for super quick response and for up to 330 hp. This turbo is comparable to HKS GT2530.

Part #: Garrett_GT2860RS-739548-1

I know there have been quite a few threads on this, but there are so many options, I'm really not sure what to do for the best.

EVOBAD

looks like the one there selling on ebay & the pic abov isnt a disco potato as the inlet -outlet are bigger on the potatao,its just a strd turbo with ballbearing instead of strd bearing

A

alana

If your sticking with a t28 i would suggest the gt2871r but most would go for the 3071 so you've got the option for more power in future.

gtir_pimp

if you only want 330bhp, the standard turbo will get you there with the right mods, and you can usually pick one up for around £150 in good con. unless you are definately going for a new unit

Matt Evans

Thanks for replies all.

The pic is of the one with the original option inlet and outlet. They have about 4 other options, but that looked like the one closest to standard.

I'm only really looking for about 330bhp as my car is a daily runner and I want to keep it as reliable as possible. But obviously I'd get the quicker spool up with this, as opposed to a standard one.

As I understand, my TT stage 1 is pretty much a standard t28 but with 360 bearing, is it not?

Also. on the FRsport website, it gives the turbo housing size options of .64 and .86, which should I go for?

Yep, I serviced and rebuilt it myself.

Matt Evans

Is the .86 one the same as standard?

Has anyone actually heard of this company before?

Last edited:

Matt Evans

Thanks nismoboy, seems like a good, informative site, but its a lot more expensive than the other site. Is there any way I can find out if FRSport are any good, or more importantly, whether their products are?

Rav

i had the disco potatoe withe the .86 ar housing and its a good turbo with quick spool, but like mentioned before ther turbo to get is the 3071r

Matt Evans

The only thing is, I'd like to keep as close to standard as possible, and the disco potato seems to be the best of both worlds.

I'm planning on keeping my engine internals standard, so I won't need a higher flowing turbo than the disco, as I'll only be looking at about 320-330bhp.

It works out that from FRsport, the turbo inc. shipping is about £580. But how can I find out if they're a good company, and if their products are top notch?

Matt Evans

Thanks again for all the replies. :)

It does say on FRSport that its a Garrett unit, and they still seem to be the cheapest, but they're also an american company, so I could still get stung on tax.

If I could get one in the UK for about £600 I'd prob go for it, but they seem to be up over £700.

Dammit, just don't know what to do. :(

Matt Evans

Ok, I've just read some very promising things about FRsport on Zilvia.net.

They seem to be a very reliable and helpful company, so I think I might go for broke and try them. I'll email first and ask about the turbo units, and I'll let everyone know what they say.

P.s.

It also says on the product description that I can order it without an actuator, with an actuator for $65, or with an HKS actuator for $95 extra.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

EVOBAD

Matt Evans said:
Thanks for replies all.

The pic is of the one with the original option inlet and outlet. They have about 4 other options, but that looked like the one closest to standard.

I'm only really looking for about 330bhp as my car is a daily runner and I want to keep it as reliable as possible. But obviously I'd get the quicker spool up with this, as opposed to a standard one.

As I understand, my TT stage 1 is pretty much a standard t28 but with 360 bearing, is it not?

Also. on the FRsport website, it gives the turbo housing size options of .64 and .86, which should I go for?

Yep, I serviced and rebuilt it myself.
dont u hav to hav a special machine to balance the turbo

Matt Evans

I read somewhere that some turbos are only balanced to help with noise reduction or something. Don't know if thats entirely true, I doubt it though.

What I did was use a laser line and mark the exhaust wheel, comp. wheel and locking nut. Then I reassembled it using the 3 marked points, so they were in line again.

I know it sounds a bit basic, but it seems to have worked... Um, apart from the smoke of course, but I'm sure(hope) thats just a seal. :S Lol

zenwahwong56

Hi,

I have the GT28RS, dont forget you will have to modify some parts of the turbo to make it fit!! i.e Turbo to intercooler pipe, relocate the actuator, oil pipe needs modifying and my oil return needed modifying as well.

Well worth the difference if your looking for quick spool, but as above 3071r is the one to go for if future power is required.