Think 3rd gear has gone in PAR box

skiddusmarkus

I'm just mulling over my options really.To have the box rebuilt, taken out and refitted and I'd be looking at up to a grand.I am finding it hard to justify that at the moment as although I am not skint, I have better things to spend my money on.I didn't forsee having to rebuild the box again.

Danny, you offered to rebuild the box, would that be with just a standard 3rd gear?It might be a daft question but for all I know you have dealt with PAR before and they might be able to supply you with bits a lot faster than when they 1st started making the gearsets.

davey red.r

i had a par box with 3rd gear issues pretty shit tbh.it had just been built and done 2k previous belive it was about 4k too:doh:

red reading

I'm just mulling over my options really.To have the box rebuilt, taken out and refitted and I'd be looking at up to a grand.I am finding it hard to justify that at the moment as although I am not skint, I have better things to spend my money on.I didn't forsee having to rebuild the box again.

Danny, you offered to rebuild the box, would that be with just a standard 3rd gear?It might be a daft question but for all I know you have dealt with PAR before and they might be able to supply you with bits a lot faster than when they 1st started making the gearsets.
My par box needed no parts from par,phils did need some though and all he did was phone PAR and order what he wanted (steel Selector fork for 3rd/4th)If they have it in stock you will recieve it (uk customs providing) to your doorstep in a week, The only way to tell how long it'll take is by striping the box down seeing what you need and sending them an email/phone call. I do know they have another run of production comming up so you should'nt have to wait too long for parts.

You cant fit a standard 3rd in the par box unless you fit a standard 4th if they fit on the par shaft at all btw (which is what could have been done if it has been apart 3 times already)

This can be sorted Skiddus or just fit a standard box till it's run in/till you get the par sorted out.

davey red.r

yeah thats what i gathered, i didnt pay the money but kev 200 off here did:doh: weston performance midlands built it :sad:

I have a par straight cut synchro gearset,that i have just sold as i am going to discard the project.
Honestly the quality seems to be excellent.ma machining is excellent and all the parts are strong.
Gerard is a nice guy ,always replies to mail and knows his stuff.
I don't know why people had troubles in the uk.the kit has been updated in 2005 so maybe older kits were more difficult to fit.
Looking at the gears,ghetto are nice!

Maybe the selector fork has gine.can post pics of my par one.Looks very strong!i believe Ivan in Australia was one if the firsts to run a par box in his gtir and He has always spoken well of the box.there are mixed experiences on par,but all i can say,in my experience the customer support is awesome.try to send gerard an e-mail,He will get back the same day.quaife and PPG are not so responsive.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I don't think it's the gears themselves, I think it's how they've been put in the box that's the problem. - I may have misunderstood this, but I got the impression that people thought they just dropped in (and they don't). I'm sure someone (Danny probably) said that if you do just a little work on the case when you fit them, there will be no problems.

However, it's equally possible I've got that confused. - It's not a problem I have, so I wasn't really paying attention.

skiddusmarkus

Not checked this for a day or 2, have been tiling my kitchen :). I don't think its the selector as IIRC 3/4 share the same one and I could still get 4th.Third feels like neutral does ie like there's nothing there at all.
I had one of the billet 3/4 selectors originally but the 1st builder managed to ruin it by it not lining up properly and wearing a small groove in it.

If it was just 3rd gear, does anyone know how much PAR charge for single gears?

red reading

Not checked this for a day or 2, have been tiling my kitchen :). I don't think its the selector as IIRC 3/4 share the same one and I could still get 4th.Third feels like neutral does ie like there's nothing there at all.
I had one of the billet 3/4 selectors originally but the 1st builder managed to ruin it by it not lining up properly and wearing a small groove in it.

If it was just 3rd gear, does anyone know how much PAR charge for single gears?

It's unlikely to be a single gear as when they fail (which is what sound's to have happened with yours) they tend to fail as a pair...i.e one damages the other , A pair of 4th gear's (Quaife) cost £280 recentley.

When the box is taken apart and if found to be a gear failure you will probley find par would replace it if there was a fault with the part and not with the build. I personally am still suspicious (by nature) that you may have had a standard 3rd/4th gears put in that gearbox.

red reading

I will have to have a look to be 100% as my memory is'nt wonderfull,the gears (par) all run with cage needle roller bearings and standard gears run on the shaft. I think standard will fit on the shaft but you would have to change 3rd/4th gears hub the lot to match.

Par gears run on needle bearings,while std run directly on shaft,but you can still use a std gear on par mainframe shaft if you also use needle bearings.the inner bore on the gears is the same as std.

skiddusmarkus

Get the box stripped and find out what's really happened....up till that point it's all pie in the sky.
Because I want a rough idea of how much it would cost before I consider fannying about getting the box taken out.If its going to be more trouble than its worth it will go up for sale as is or stripped.

shroom

There are loads of people breaking doubt you will make make a lot at all if anything much maybe breaks n bits will sell then it will be an even bigger financial kick in the balls and you won't even have a tin can to stroke

skiddusmarkus

Looking at putting a standard box back in and swap to a helix organic with the stronger cover(meant to be good for 370lbft).Sell the helix paddle I have in it, possibly get the PAR rebuilt and either put it back in or sell it.I don't fancy the idea of having to pay twice for fitting though so probably the latter.
Not sure about the diffs yet, I will defo keep the front lsd, the Nismo centre lsd I haven't decided on yet.I've been doing some searching to see what its worth and they are like hens teeth.
At least this way I am only paying out for parts I know will sell on and I also have the option of selling the car complete.