the truth please???

williams

i ahve always loved the gtir's. but i keep getting put off by hearing how unreliable they are. can people please give me their honest experiances with their cars??

thanks

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Look after it and like any other car its fine.. Drive like a complete tit and any car will break

Rishi

PaulB

Reliable as heck if kept standard, if you modify it, and dont do it properly and it will break.

But if you push 15 - 17year old car and its parts past there design limits and they fail, its to be expected.

I reckon that to be reliable go with approx below. They will take more, but might not be considered reliable.

Standard turbo - 280bhp
Pistons - 330bhp
Gearbox 320bhp

Even at these amounts, they mightnt last. You gotta remember the newest ones rolled off the line 13 years ago

williams

i see your from newcastle mate. i live in morpeth. if i decided to go for 1 and would you be able to have a look it at for me? see if it has any of their common faults etc.

P

pulsarboby

RishiGTiR said:
Look after it and like any other car its fine.. Drive like a complete tit and any car will break

Rishi

:thumbsup: thats true!

if you look through the search button it will give you all the info you need on things to look out for when buying one.
imo you are better to buy a crapper for around a grand then have the engine out and rebuild it as paul above as done!
you will then have a good car which is fairly reliable.

pay a lot of money for one and you will still have probs in the long run, so you just as well get it over and done with at the start;-)

just depends on whether you plan to keep it or flog it on after a few months!

oldaneal

mine was reliable at std spec ran it for 2 and a half years like that no problems was only when i started to modify it that there i had trouble and being honest was only because i didnt modify i properly

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've been driving mine like a tit for over 5 years now, It probably will break one day. (nothing lasts forever)

Hardly been off the road in that time. I killed the standard clutch after 3.5years, power steering pump went after about 2, 3 water hoses went on me last year. I think that's about it.

gtir bean

mine is my daily driver running 300bhp for the last 3 years and its only been normal wear and tear.i find it funny when you get the scooby owners etc saying weak gearbox,soft engines etc.i have seen more scoobys and evos with shagged engines than pulsars.any car will break mind if you rag it to death without looking after it.

keggles2001

i'm on my 3rd R and have only ever had to fix things due too wear and tear(i hope i haven't spoken tooo soon....DOH)

P

pulsarboby

tis true what mr bean has said:lol:

scooby ej20 engines are a pile of horse dung, the sr20det engine is reliable compared to those flat 4 heaps of pooh!

gtir bean

even the evo engines.up to evo 4 i think you need to wathc for crank walk.even the likes of the p1 its not uncomon for the engine to go bang.

PaulB

pulsarboby said:
imo you are better to buy a crapper for around a grand then have the engine out and rebuild it as paul above as done!
you will then have a good car which is fairly reliable.
Only i didnt pay a grand for mine ! I paid £3700, for a mint standard one, more than please with it, no jap had screwed lots of dodgy sh!t to it. I just wanted a good base car.

Not sure if i totally agree with you there, when i was lookin, the ones for £2k were right dogs like.

Williams, Im really busy at the mo im afraid, but if you buy one, gimme a shout and illl meet up with yA! :thumbsup:

davey red.r

hello mate ive had performance cars all my life r5 rstc sierra cosworth always wanted an r waited 7 year till the right one came up had engine rebuilt 3500 gearbox 1800 whats that to have what you want its only money ;-) go for it i say bud once you get a sorted R theres no car i have owned that comes close to it obvously when you look at it make sure theres no oil inside the tail pipe check oil pressure gauge average 4 cold 2 idle and 4 to 6 on acceleration but most of these are innacurate check any left or right movement on braking good luck mate davey;-)