The mother of all generator problems!!

chrism

Ive been trying to get my alternator to charge for over a year now and cant get it to behave.

The first issue I had was the 12v supply to the alternator that "kick-starts" it into action. The voltage was there with the ignition off but disapperaed when the ign. was turned on. I solved that by routing a new wire from elsewhere so it now has the proper voltage.

I then measured how much voltage the alternator was putting out directly on the terminals....8 volts!! I changed the alternator and now its not charging at all. My next step is to put the other alternator back and go from there.

Heres the embarassing bit: when I did the engine I forgot to put the little "wedge" back into the crankshaft where the pulley sits.:oops: Ive tried budging it for hand and it doesnt slip. What are the chances of it slipping when the engines going thereby not turning the pulley quick enough to charge it properly? hence the 8volts.

Another option could be the fact I have the battery in the boot and I ground in the boot too. Do you really need to route an earth cable from the battery anf ground it up by the engine bay?

Any thoughts or opinions? be nice now