the cars in the garage but.........

S

s18rra

i took the car for a good drive just before taking it to the garage and found that everytime i put the clutch down it made a sort of rubbing sound, what could this be? i know the gearbox is on the way out but the clutch is quiet new, its an ap racing clutch.
also the work being done is gonna cost me £300 is this good for the following.
-drill out damaged wheel nut
-fit one disc and pads
-fit cv gaitor
-fit steering rack gaiter
-supply and fit part worn tyre.

S

s18rra

everywhere i went were charging around the same, it is alot of money but unfortunatley i havent got all the right tools to do the job plus the tyre alone is £55.

jjs

dont usually fit one disc, usually replace brake parts as a pair, so that the braking is even. just my oppinion, sounds expensive, are they supplying the brake parts as well as all other bits, ?

S

s18rra

nah i got all the parts myself, there only supplying the tyre, they said the biggest problem is taking off the wheel as the nut is well and truely ****ed.

gtirjoey

depends how many hours labour they are charging to remove wheel stud but i would of thought it will be about an hour labour for that alone!! but at the end of the day if u have no mates that are in the trade and all the reputable garages in the area want roughley the same money, yu dont really have a choice???

youngsyp

EVOBAD said:
not bad for 1hr work
You do talk some cr@p !!

It would take at least an hour to do the CV boot alone... there's 4 hour work there at least !

I think you picked the wrong car to fit part worn tyres to mate. You can't cut corners in a car like the GTiR.... not that I'd ever fit one part worn tyre to any car !

Paul

olliecast

youngsyp said:
You do talk some cr@p !!

It would take at least an hour to do the CV boot alone... there's 4 hour work there at least !

I think you picked the wrong car to fit part worn tyres to mate. You can't cut corners in a car like the GTiR.... not that I'd ever fit one part worn tyre to any car !

Paul
and a disc on one side surely!
sooner or later you`ll have to bite the bullet and buy two new disks for her anyway :)

gtirjoey

not being funny but it would take me fifteen minutes at most to change a cv gater but that would be me in my time rushing to get home quick!! although in a normal work rythem bout half hour.
But do agree that you should be fitting two discs.. and come to think of it have you got 18's or something 55 is bloody expensive for a partworn! i paid £43 for a uniroyal 205/40/17 brand new!!

S

s18rra

sorry i havent quiet explained myself properly, i had new disc and pads fitted all round except one at the front because i couldnt take the wheel off, so there all new, as for the part worn tyre its practicly brand new a fella went to quick fit for a new tyre and when he came to have an mot it was noticed that they had fitted the wrong speed raiting so this garage fitted a new tyre for him and kept this one i now have, its basically done 100 miles at the most.

P

pulsarboby

as some people have pointed out, the hard bit is getting that nut off, if its a recessed nut then they can be a right bastad without damaging the wheel.
if i had been doing the job then you would have been charged £90 to do the gator, discs & pads but removing the nut could be half hour or 2hrs work

so imo £300 i would say is a bit on the steep side but as joe said, you have no other option if you cant do it yourself.

youngsyp

gtirjoey said:
But do agree that you should be fitting two discs.. and come to think of it have you got 18's or something 55 is bloody expensive for a partworn! i paid £43 for a uniroyal 205/40/17 brand new!!
That's another good point....
My 215-40/16 Toyo T1-R's were only £48 a corner !

Paul

S

s18rra

right i picked up the car today got it through the mot got tax and went for a good drive, ended up costing £260 all in. WOW this things quick its my first experience of a proper performance car and first experience of going through a quarter tank and only doing 18 miles.hee.
that problem i mentioned with the grinding i found tends to be in 1st gear and sometimes in second, it just sounds like somethings grinding as i drive in these gears, i take it these are the signs of the gearbox going, well i hope anyway as i dont want it to be anything else.

Braveheart

Glad to hear the works done and you can now drive it properly.
Maybe check the gearbox level and change the oil if need be.

S

s18rra

have you any idea what the grinding noise when i put the clutch down could be, it seems to be coming from around the passenger front wheel.

Smo

Perhaps something to do with the driveshaft/hub? Could be something loose or slight play except when under load - have you tried putting the car in neutral when driving so it coasts? If not, try that and see if the noise persists. If so it's unlikely to be the clutch I'd imagine.

S

s18rra

nah it only happens when i put the clutch down and put it into gear in neutral it doesnt make a sound.

scottyd

could just be your gearbox, you said it was on its way out, and since the noise only happens when its in gear, chances are thats your problem.

Get a new gearbox fitted and if it still happens then the gearbox wasn't the problem:lol:

gtirjoey

so does it make sound when depressing clutch when staitonary and there is no noise when your foot is off clutch? if your anwser is yes then it is your clutch release bearing as when stationary with your foot on clutch if it is gear or not the geaarbox shafts will not be turning (unless your clutch doesnt clear)