Suspension too hard?

K

kentyboy

Hi again everyone. This is only my 7th post and they've all been asking for help so far!!!
Bought an 'R' last week but noticed the suspension is absolutely rock solid. The only 'give' there is is in the tyres. I had a look underneath and the shock absorbers fitted on it are made by a Swedish company called 'Ohlins'. Has anyone come across this manufacturer before? It feels like the shock absorbers are at the bottom of their travel which is why the ride is so hard. I can't bear it like this! I cant tell if the springs are uprated or not. Just wondered what your thoughts were. Do I ditch the shocks/springs and get a totally new set up or are the 'Ohlins' adjustable or something?? There are blue plastic caps on the bottom of each strut but I havent removed them yet to see what is underneath them.
I cant afford to shell out a fortune on a fantastic set-up so can anyone recommend a decent brand of suspension?
Thanks....again!!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DaOne

is there any way of adjustin them, sometimes there is a knob on the top of the strut, sometimes on the shock body its self.

i have tein coilovers on my R, just hight adjustable, yes it is a hard bumpy ride, but OMFG it sticks and handles well

K

kentyboy

Thanks for the reply. There are no knobs or anything like that. I think there may be some sort of adjusting thingy under the blue caps on the botton of the struts. I dont want to just start turning things with out knowing what im doing first.

D

DaOne

they normally have numbers on them, if they do, just set each side to the same, they may be just hight adjustable like mine, not the end of the world, you get use to it after a little bit :)

P

papdog

The adjustment is under those blue caps. I had a set on my car until last week and they are bloody hard. Handling is good though. I had mine rebuilt and aparantly the shocks are £600 each new so you've got a fair few quids worth on there!

Graham

K

kentyboy

Brilliant :)

Perhaps i'll rip 'em out and get some 'country road friendly' ones instead seeing as I work out in the sticks. You're right though, they really are bloody hard!!
Do you know how they adjust? I took one of the caps off and it just looks like theres a nut under there.

MarkTurbo

papdog said:
aparantly the shocks are £600 each new so you've got a fair few quids worth on there!
Ssssssshhhhhh :doh: I was going to offer to buy them off him cheap as they were too hard for him :lol:

P

papdog

You use a hex key in the centre of the nut to adjust them.

MarkTurbo - You can buy mine off me if you like, need rebuilding though, but I know a man who can!!!

Graham

K

kentyboy

Thats brilliant. Thanks for your help lads....i'll have a play this weekend.