Suspension setup thoughts

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I need to sort out some things on my suspension (ball joints) and was going to fit an anti-dive kit for convenience. The temptation was then just to but the works kit until I started looking at it.

The whiteline "anti-dive" kit affects the Castor only (I beleieve??) In the future I wil lower the car and fit adjustable dampers. Lowering the car will also benefit the camber and castor. My target camber is -1deg back, -1.5 deg front. I'm only running 205 road tyres so I won't be generating huge levels of grip that require big camber changes. Here was my starting thought, If I lower the car by 35-40mm, I'll probably get -1deg at the back anyway and save myself £40 on the rear camber bolts. The works kit is then not much better to buy as a package.

Has anyone checked the camber on their lowered car to see what difference it made without any camber bolts etc?

The other thing was the adjustable rear ARB to reduce roll at the back and make it more stable. Without driving my car hard again, I can't remember if it requires more stability. My concern is the wet weather grip and that the backend might powerslide too much rather than dig in and grip. On a standard car, there maybe too much roll, on a lowered stiffened car, they may not be enough. As a first stab I did not want to start changing roll bars until I'd changed a few other things first and driven hard in the wet and dry.

The bushes are always a good idea but the cost of them compared to the rest of the kit is insignificant and wouldn't justify the whole expense.

What I came to was get the car lowered and stiffend first with adjustable dampers. I could then use either crash bolts to permenantly adjust the camber or adjustbale top mounts to vary it. I don't know if either of these are options for the R as I've not checked. Anyone tried this route?

Increasing the castor is tempting but I don't want to do this too much and remove steering feel as this is as, if not more, important to me than outright grip. Is the whiteline anti-dive kit adjustable? I'd want to start off with 2deg which is the max of the OE settings and drive it for a bit.

Does anyone know what the adjustments can be made to the whiteline anti-dive kit?

This is more a general ramble but I'm interested in other peoples experiences as long as its not "I did this and now my car is great" :roll: . Why, is it great? power on/off, turn in/mid corner, wet/dry. Smooth tarmac/dodgy back road, old knacked suspension/lots of other trick stuff, big tyres/small tyres, designed for drag/road/track etc etc.

I thought I'd kick off this thread to get a better understanding of the subtlety in setting up the Gti-R

O

Odin

Quote:Does anyone know what the adjustments can be made to the whiteline anti-dive kit?

yes none :wink: .

rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
vpulsar said:
Quote:Does anyone know what the adjustments can be made to the whiteline anti-dive kit?

yes none :wink: .

rob
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Am I right that it only adjusts the Castor? If so by how much?
I didn't think castor was adjustable on the R but I've not really checked.

Rob, have you tried fiddling with the rear ARB settings?

O

Odin

campbellju said:
Rob, have you tried fiddling with the rear ARB settings?
No mate my car's still away being painted. And even when it come's back it will only be going as far as the garage , Till next summer anyway :twisted: .

rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Fast Guy said:
Is the anti lift kit the anti dive kit? :? :oops: The anti lift kit alters castor.
I think so :lol: I'm thinking of Castor adjustment anyway.

Its all marketing mumbo jumboIts a bit like calling bigger brakes an anti acceleration kit :lol:

Just a quick summary, if the castor isn't adjustable from standard and the "Anti-lift/dive" kit isn't adjustable, then does the kit just move the mounting point an inch or two? What does it consist of for £90?

O

Odin

campbellju said:
Just a quick summary, if the castor isn't adjustable from standard and the "Anti-lift/dive" kit isn't adjustable, then does the kit just move the mounting point an inch or two? What does it consist of for £90?
It's just a big yellow bush with a offset centre and some new bolts and 4 spacer's :wink: .

All your's for £90 :lol: :lol: .

rob

O

Odin

Just had to post again. 4000 4000 4000 post's whoopy :roll: :wink: .

rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
4000 posts! 8)

Do the spacers change the castor at all if you use 3 rather than 1 etc.

188 posts :oops: and counting

O

Odin

campbellju said:
4000 posts! 8)

188 posts :oops: and counting
A fibble effort I must say :lol: .

No the spacer's are there just to fill the gap between the mount and the body of the car because there bigger than the standard bush :wink: .

rob

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The spacers are to pad out the mounting bracket as the whiteline bush is alot deeper. If you use more spacers the bush won't be held in place at all :wink:
Fitting instructions with picture here

Edited to add --OK I'll type faster next time and not look for a picture :p

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks for the info fast guy. I should have found that myself.

So if I took the standard mount and put a 5mm single spacer bar in with longer screws I'd have anti lift/increased castor 8) The thing is my new control arm comes with new bushes so I'm pained to bin it for a yellow poly one. I'm not sure if upto 1deg of increased castor is worth £90 for me.

I'm guessing the offset bush it to keep the toe the same or something? I'll have to look at the car properly sometime and have a think.

And there was I worried the anti-dive kit would give an extra 5 degs of castor or something :roll:

O

Odin

campbellju said:
Oh never mind me :roll: :oops: I put in all the hard work to get you a quick reply and it's like i'm not hear or something :cry: .

But old slow coach fatgut come's in with his late sorry effort and get's all the credit :? How does that work then :?: :? .

rob :lol:

O

Odin

That's ok Jim your welcome matey :wink: .

Just don't forget your manner's next time :oops: :cry: .

rob

JIMMYBACK

vpulsar said:
campbellju said:
Oh never mind me :roll: :oops: I put in all the hard work to get you a quick reply and it's like i'm not hear or something :cry: .

But old slow coach fatgut come's in with his late sorry effort and get's all the credit :? How does that work then :?: :? .

rob :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: