Suspension set up

I have currently on the car a full set of GAB struts/shocks with what ever springs as they where on the car when i bought it. I have noticed the front has started to dive at the front a wee bit too much for ma liking.
The shocks are not burst and are fine when you bounce them, bounce and it settles right away on the rebound.

Was thinking of Fitting whiteline control springs, so i get a maximum of 40mm drop.

Has anyone else got this set-up and what do yous think of it.

I have done the right thing in using the search button, but couldnt find anyone using this set up.

If anyone has any other suggestions on springs am happy to consider them

cheers

davie

P

pulsarboby

may sound stupid but have you tried adjusting the things to stiffen the damping up?

youngsyp

Odin said:
I've got a suggestion for you numbnuts ;-) , How about posting your question in the right f*cking section :doh: .

Rob
Technically speaking Rob, that's actually a question, and not a suggestion. ;-) :lol:

Paul

Last edited:

davey red.r

they all suffer dive ,picking mine up tomorrow night, with the gab set up with 40mm springs, theres 4 and 8 settings go 2/4 for road use ,see what its like,will let you know how it handles.

davey

Last edited:

youngsyp

Odin said:
And you can f*ck righ off you pedantic f*cker :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
I love it when you talk dirty ! :shock: :lol:

And did you mean "f*ck right off" ? :lol:

Paul

Last edited:

youngsyp

davey red.r said:
they all suffer dive ,picking mine up tomorrow night, with the gab set up with 40mm springs, theres 4 and 8 settings go 2/4 for road use ,see what its like,will let you know how it handles.

davey
Mine doesn't dive now I have a set of coilovers fitted. It did dive dangerously with stock dampers and 'uprated' lowering springs though.

@ the OP: I reckon you should look at replacing the springs first but, ultimately the dampers might be past it too.

Paul

davey red.r

youngsyp said:
Mine doesn't dive now I have a set of coilovers fitted. It did dive dangerously with stock dampers and 'uprated' lowering springs though.

@ the OP: I reckon you should look at replacing the springs first but, ultimately the dampers might be past it too.

Paul
the dampers were well past it paul,has been adressed now, got the gabs on,with new lowering springs,had a good 30mile drive last night,must say the setup is much better than i thought,well pleased with the gabs,oh and i also had hispec billet fours put on,with red stuff pads,its great to have brakes now that work:-D

Last edited:

youngsyp

davey red.r said:
the dampers were well past it paul,has been adressed now, got the gabs on,with new lowering springs
Yeah, my dampers had about 94k miles on them when they were replaced ! :shock: :lol:

Paul

First of all sorry for posting in the wrong section, must have caught ODIN at the wrong time eh.

The gabs are at their highest setting, but are fine. their not leaking and you bounce the car and they settle on the rebound bounce.

I think i will go for some different springs on the front first before i think about changing the GABS.

At the moment it drives fine and handles fine.

Its just going into tight corners and the odd roundabout, it will dive on one of the front corners too much for my liking.

Will try the whiteline springs and see how i go.

davie

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Do you mean like this?

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=307&d=1158053929

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it on the brakes or on turn in?

Lowering your car causes it to roll more as you elimanate the Anti-Roll geometry of the suspension. Is your car too low at the moment?

If its just pitching too much then you need stiffer front Springs or to stiffen your rear dampers. On middle of the range dampers, bounce is fixed and rebound is adjustable.

Also, careful what you wish, for I was just playing in the photo but I prefer a car with less understeer. Stiffening your front will make it understeer more.

Check your front ARB bushes are doing their job still. Do you havea rear adjustable ARB, that will force more weight to the front and like in the photo can make for some fun handling

Jim

Last edited:
Hey Jim is that your car on full throttle exit or braking on entry?
Is it running on full coilvers with other supporting mods like LSDs?

My current stupid setup is way too neutral - understeerish now especially in slower 1st, 2nd gear corners.
My mech suggest not to go any higher ride height on my JICs as the stroke is quite short.
I wonder would the bumpsteer kit help now to reduce the understeer i'm facing.
Or what i need is a HKSGT2835 with NOS and 1.7 bar of boost to get the rear end sideways?

Last edited:
Campbellju the car is basically standardish height running GAB suspension all round, think the drop is about 25mm.

All the bushes are fine on the front as i renewed them all for it`s MOT.
So the front is all nice and tight.

Basically its happening both ways on hard braking and when basically having a play coming onto roundabouts and off them, the front really dives in the corners, so basically just wanting it a bit stiffer to stop the nose diving as much and at tops a 35mm drop and 40mm at a push.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
BabyGodzillaGTi-R said:
Hey Jim is that your car on full throttle exit on braking on entry?
Is it running on full coilvers with other supporting mods like LSDs?

My current stupid setup is way too neutral - understeerish now especially in slower 1st, 2nd gear corners.
My mech suggest not to go any higher ride height on my JICs as the stroke is quite short.
Hey there!
that was just me messing around really as I knew there was a camera there :oops: :oops:

Nothing clever though, just braking late and turning in hard. The track was wet so I didn't have to brake that late. Wet is good as you can judge balance with lower limits. In the dry I would need to brake and turn harder

I was running 380hp then where as now I'm 50-70hp more but the extra power only makes poor balance terminal.

IIRC, the JIC's have a similar spring rate to the K-Sports etc. These are understeer biased like the standard rates. Tein are a bit more neutral. That photo was done with standard tein rates but with my caster mod and a load of testing.

At that time I was using a rear ARB that helps a lot. I won't go into all the details but this setup was very neutral off the power and very forgiving. It did power understeer so I swapped spring rates and went for my extreme castor mod that I wouldn't recommend to all but the truly insane. It does allow a hint of power oversteer out of corners :shock: At first this was more like Torque steer as you fed power in and the car tried to fire you into the inside of the corner. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone though as in the wet its difficult to get the front to bite on 2nd gear corners but once you have you can feed the power in happily again.

Tell me as much detail as you can about the settings you're running and we can take it from there.

Cheers,
Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Davie Houston said:
Campbellju the car is basically standardish height running GAB suspension all round, think the drop is about 25mm.

All the bushes are fine on the front as i renewed them all for it`s MOT.
So the front is all nice and tight.

Basically its happening both ways on hard braking and when basically having a play coming onto roundabouts and off them, the front really dives in the corners, so basically just wanting it a bit stiffer to stop the nose diving as much and at tops a 35mm drop and 40mm at a push.
Whiteline's are alright but IMO they are a smidge too low. What you've got sounds about right for drop but try and measure it wheel centre to arch all round.

What tyes and tyre pressures are you running? Check your pressues too rather than waht you think they are. I'm womdering if its your tyres rolling too much rather than the car

Oddly with softer suspension the GTi-R is more fun to drive as it's so much easier to throw the end out with a shuffle, lift off over steer nonsense as compared to fitting the JICs.

What i want is 15 degree of castor man.... LOL
I guess when u race go karts for too many years, there's always never enough caster.

I was giving some thought, wondering if i'm suffering for bumpsteer which is the reason for my understeer too..

youngsyp

Davie Houston said:
The gabs are at their highest setting, but are fine. their not leaking and you bounce the car and they settle on the rebound bounce.

davie
You keep mentioning that mate but, I don't think it's relevant. That's a very old skool way of testing whether the dampers are truely knackered, nothing else.

Mine would settle on the first rebound too but, my dampers were truely knackered. Not only did they allow the car to dive excessively, they also knocked at the front end.

Paul

The front of the car is tight with no knocks what so ever.
As for the tyres i`m running 16" goodyear eagle F1`s set at 32 psi all round.
But the ca did come with a set of ripspeed alloys.
So ideally i want to upgrade to 17`s.

I take it their could be a strong possibitly the gabs could be shot, and causing to much bounce when its really put under pressure, As i dont know the mileage or that on them as they where on the car when i bought it.