suspension help

C

CHRIS_2010

ive got £400 to spend on handling.

what do people recommend to buy...

ive read about whiteline goodies but not sure what would be better to go for

all my suspension is standard at the minute.

any help would b good

chris.

Mr GTiR

What is the car going to be used for? Fast road, track days, dragging?

TBH, £400 is not going to get you alot depedning on how you want your car set up.

N

Ninja_tune_factory

you can get bits like anit roll bars strust bars bushes ect for your £400 but if your looking for shock+spring or coilovers you not find much new at that price mate

cheers Lionel.

C

CHRIS_2010

just lookin for fast road really and the occasionall blast up the strip.

so whats the recommendations..

chris.

P

pulsarboby

someone was advertising a new set of gmax coilovers on here for £500! if you can stretch to that, assuming there still for sale! this would improve handling considerably over a whiteline kit.
you can also buy tem new for that price!

stumo

Hi Chris,

The first thing to do is to read this FAQ;

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42197

Once you understand what's involved with modifying the suspension you can then go out and start modifying your car.

If you have read the link you'll have realised that magical handling won't just happen if you just stick a set of coilovers on and hope for the best!

BTW, Jims car handles very well.:thumbsup:

P

pulsarboby

stumo said:
Hi Chris,

The first thing to do is to read this FAQ;

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42197

Once you understand what's involved with modifying the suspension you can then go out and start modifying your car.

If you have read the link you'll have realised that magical handling won't just happen if you just stick a set of coilovers on and hope for the best!

BTW, Jims car handles very well.:thumbsup:
good point! still think coilovers are the best suspension mod you can make but as stumo says! its no good unless they are setup correctly and the car is correctly balanced with weight distribution, camber etc.
as the thread says 'you could make it worse if not setup correctly'

T

tro||

without a shadow of a doubt, for the majority of people that own gtir's these days coilovers are the biggest waste of money on a road driven gtir

the amount of times i've heard people say how well the car handles on them only to be left for dust down the twisties on my old pikey set up is amazing. They're to harsh for our shit roads unless spring rates are chosen correctly, ride height set up properly and damping adjusted to suit. All of which is far beyond what the majority of people that claim coilovers are the bollocks are actually capable of doing.

for a road going gtir i'd say your just best off with some decent shocks, springs, all the whitline bits and then go learn how to drive properly.

a good mate of mine laps brands far quicker than people with 'better' spec'd evos because he can actually drive.

andygtir

like troll says coilovers can be a waste of time for road driving, my mate couldnt keep up down a b road with me even though he had a lot more power as he kept taking off and wheel spinning every time he hit the slightest bump - which was often!

stumo

andygtir said:
like troll says coilovers can be a waste of time for road driving, my mate couldnt keep up down a b road with me even though he had a lot more power as he kept taking off and wheel spinning every time he hit the slightest bump - which was often!
That's down to poor setup.

CruiseGTi-R

I agree coilovers can be too hard. But, get the right springs and they're a much better solution than dampers/springs.

Being able to adjust rideheight is half the handling story which you can't do with dampers.

D2's and G-shocks are unbeatable value for money, I'm amazed they actually do em for the R.

T

tro||

how many people on here do you think are ever going to sit there and match spring rates, mess about with ride heights and damping on a regular basis ?

not many.

they'll wind them down nice and low and then wonder why their car handles abit skittishly and that'll be that

i still say waste of money on a road car

CruiseGTi-R

tro|| said:
how many people on here do you think are ever going to sit there and match spring rates, mess about with ride heights and damping on a regular basis ?

not many.

they'll wind them down nice and low and then wonder why their car handles abit skittishly and that'll be that

i still say waste of money on a road car
Fair point fella.

But its not a waste of money cos they aren't more expensive. Just using the D2's out the box are still such good value for money. The ride is very firm, but you learn to live with it. On the days when you do find smooth roads they're brilliant.

New normal or uprated dampers and springs still cost lots.