super hybrid turbo

S

Speed junkie

Hi does any1 no how much a super hybrid turbo costs, and where i can get 1 from, also what will i have to modify to support it, if i do get 1

thanks

O

Odin

Norris does one that will bolt straight on with no mods fella, I had one on mine before.

Will work ok to 1.6ish bar I think maybe a bit more, but you'ed have to get the csr set up properly for that :wink: .

rob

O

Odin

Speed junkie said:
cheers mate

Thats ok buddy, cost wise it was about £800 ish I think, but i'd go to the states and atp turbo's myself and get a GTRS or the like :wink: .

I think it's www.atpturbo.com or turbos not sure

rob

S

Speed junkie

Thanks a lot, but i dont get this bar business as as im new to all this stuff can you just explain it a bit please, like what does 1 bar 1.2 bar etc... mean.

J

justin666

Turbo technics also do a version of the T28 super Hybrid :D Around 600 to 700 notes if memory serves correct..

Bar is another measurement of pressure, same as psi..

roughly, 14,5 psi is around 1 bar. 1.2 bar is more therefore more fun :D

By csr, i assume Rob means car. :roll:

J...

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Speed junkie said:
Hi does any1 no how much a super hybrid turbo costs, and where i can get 1 from, also what will i have to modify to support it, if i do get 1

thanks
You might be putting the cart before the horse here. Difficult to say what you need to support the turbo as we don't know what spec you've got. A super hybrid turbo might sound cool :roll: but I'm guessing if you didn't know what a bar was you're pretty new to the game. Your standard T28 will be good to around 1.2Bar (Though it will wear out more quickly). To support 1.2 bar you will need better fuel control. This would give around 290-320hp depending on your engine spec.

320hp is relativley easy and safe. To achieve the spec a super hybrid turbo (360hp?) needs to justify bothering means it gets very expensive very quickly. Yes some people on the forum are achieving big power from standard internals now but the other 99% including myself have a trail of pistons, clutches, controllers or gearboxes behind them.
Save yourself some money and read through all the tuning FAQ's before you buy anything, that's what they are there for.
Cheers,
Jim

O

Odin

campbellju said:
You might be putting the cart before the horse here. Difficult to say what you need to support the turbo as we don't know what spec you've got. A super hybrid turbo might sound cool :roll: but I'm guessing if you didn't know what a bar was you're pretty new to the game. Your standard T28 will be good to around 1.2Bar (Though it will wear out more quickly). To support 1.2 bar you will need better fuel control. This would give around 290-320hp depending on your engine spec.

320hp is relativley easy and safe. To achieve the spec a super hybrid turbo (360hp?) needs to justify bothering means it gets very expensive very quickly. Yes some people on the forum are achieving big power from standard internals now but the other 99% including myself have a trail of pistons, clutches, controllers or gearboxes behind them.
Save yourself some money and read through all the tuning FAQ's before you buy anything, that's what they are there for.
Cheers,
Jim

Trust Jim to do a proper reply :shock: :lol: .

All the above is very very good advice Mr Speed junkie as Jim has said it starts to get very expensive when you start turning up the boost, First thing that will go is the standard clutch, 1 bar is far as you can go with out other mods and the standard turbo is fine for that:wink: .

Over 1 bar and you will need some form of fuel control to go with your boost controller. If I where you i'd make sure you had a good exhaust and induction kit fitted as my first mods, Then before you start turning up the boost get some new brakes otherwise your kill yourself, Standard sunny/pulsar breaks are about as much use as a choc teaspoon.

rob

bracpan

Has anybody used ATP to buy a Turbo? if so what are they like to deal with and what was the savings including TAX compaired with the UK.
Cheers
Phil

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
vpulsar said:
Was tempted to just say do a search but it is Friday. :D

You know I struggle to do answers of one sentence :oops:

See, done it again :lol:

S

Speed junkie

vpulsar said:
campbellju said:

Cheers,
Jim

All the above is very very good advice Mr Speed junkie as Jim has said it starts to get very expensive when you start turning up the boost, First thing that will go is the standard clutch, 1 bar is far as you can go with out other mods and the standard turbo is fine for that:wink: .

Over 1 bar and you will need some form of fuel control to go with your boost controller. If I where you i'd make sure you had a good exhaust and induction kit fitted as my first mods, Then before you start turning up the boost get some new brakes otherwise your kill yourself, Standard sunny/pulsar breaks are about as much use as a choc teaspoon.

rob
Thanks a lot people. I have a full mongoose system, a KnN induction kit, i have just bought the diamond grooved and drilled sports brakes, and am looking to get the helix organic sports clutch, can you tell me what type of fuel system i will need and how much it will cost? also how much power will a forged front mounted intercooler give?

O

Odin

Speed junkie said:
Thanks a lot people. I have a full mongoose system, a KnN induction kit, i have just bought the diamond grooved and drilled sports brakes, and am looking to get the helix organic sports clutch, can you tell me what type of fuel system i will need and how much it will cost? also how much power will a forged front mounted intercooler give?
Forge front mount will give you a bit more torque and power but not much, Wouldn't bother inless you are planning on going for more than 1.2 bar really or spend a lot of time sat in traffic. I'd also go for the hybrid kit over the forge anyday it's a lot cheaper and has a far better pipe run in my opinion.

It's a bit more hassel to fit but not much, You just need to move the washer bottle to the boot, As for fuel system standard will be fine up to a bar, Over that you will need a fuel controller/uni-chip or the like.

Apexi do a fuel controller as do HKS, I'd go for a power FC and do the job properly myself, But it all depends on your future plans for the car really matey.

rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
You'll need an upgraded fuel pump. The traders on here are best value for money. £69 for a walbro (?)

IMO, the best value for money is reasonable boost and fuel controller. (You can pick these up for around £300 each) Get it professionally mapped for 1.2Bar and quit whilst you're a head.

Before my major re-build (expensive) My car had an FMIC and cams and made 320hp. less the cams and FMIC then 300hp might have been more reasonable. My engine failed at 1.2Bar though some people's don't. This is normally a combination of mapping and use (history). If your engine goes, you'll have to budget between £2k-£5K to get it on the road again.

1Bar is a safer option and many people on here run happily at this for many years.

Try the search for all the details though as its come up many times before in better detail than I could ever cover in a post.
Jim

O

Odin

Yeah forgot about the fuel pump :oops: , Cheers Jim 8) :wink: .

Mine ran fine for 2 years on 1.2 bar and 311bhp, And I wish i'd just left it at that :roll: :oops: .

I think your find most of us that have gone hunting big power wish we had never bothered :cry: .

rob

A

andyz

How do you get up to 1 bar without a boost controller? you have to adjust the actuator or something?

O

Odin

andy123 said:
How do you get up to 1 bar without a boost controller? you have to adjust the actuator or something?

You could fit a 1 bar actuator I suppose, But most people use a bleedvalve or boost controller, The standar fueling would be fine as it over fuels anyway. But I'd allways get it checked and set up at your tuner of choice, Just to make sure it's not detting(bang :cry: ).

And don't forget that fuel pump :wink: .

rob